Sonoma Train Town

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Sonoma Train Town

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Visited Sonoma Train Town last weekend. They have Improved the place rather nicely since I was there last. alas, only their 15” ga road switcher was running on Saturday, and we had to drive back into SF that afternoon, so no chance to see their steamer fired up the next day.

Well worth a visit for anyone contemplating going to the Bay Area.

Actually, personal opinion here, but I think it’s a better themed ride experience than the Redwood Valley Railway across the bay in Tilden Park. Train town allows passengers on each train an opportunity to disembark at a 1/2 scale miniature town, where kids can explore a dozen or so miniature buildings, and visit a petting zoo. 50 passengers on my train, everyone enjoyed the miniature town and the long train ride through tunnels, forest, and all manner of interesting little waterfalls.
Attachments
C1ADBED4-6A85-436D-BAA9-A67C256CD7C8.jpeg
F379D721-CF6C-4ADA-A998-238D9774B5BD.jpeg
7911D2FE-464C-4E7E-A4E2-BFA814916425.jpeg
7EB9E1C7-3715-41A0-953E-E4F8BAB352E8.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Re: Sonoma Train Town

Post by Mr Ron »

The last time I visited Sonoma train town was around 1986. From the photos, it looks like they have expanded a lot. I believe they only had 2 locomotives then. I moved away in 1992 to Mississippi. Not much railroad action down here, but the living is easier and less expensive. Gasoline now cost's $2.10; no homeless living on the streets and low crime rate. I didn't realize you were not a California resident.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Mr Ron,

Yes, the place is much improved since the earlier days. Wish I could post the videos, but we have no way to do so on
Chaski, and you tube doesn’t recognize my iPhone videos for some unknown reason. TT’s layout is very well done. The track doubles around on itself several times, yet you don’t really see the same thing twice. Nicely done.

I grew up in the Bay Area, but left in ‘66 for Alaska, then Hawaii and now Washington in Retirement. We travel to SF a couple of times a year to visit our daughter. I try to sneak in some train stuff each time, as much as Iam allowed, anyway...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:23 pm Hi Mr Ron,

Yes, the place is much improved since the earlier days. Wish I could post the videos, but we have no way to do so on
Chaski, and you tube doesn’t recognize my iPhone videos for some unknown reason. TT’s layout is very well done. The track doubles around on itself several times, yet you don’t really see the same thing twice. Nicely done.

I grew up in the Bay Area, but left in ‘66 for Alaska, then Hawaii and now Washington in Retirement. We travel to SF a couple of times a year to visit our daughter. I try to sneak in some train stuff each time, as much as Iam allowed, anyway...

Glenn
San Francisco was a different place when you were growing up than it is now. I moved there from the East coast in 1964 and stayed until 1990. It was a great place then, but the horror stories I hear in the news makes me believe it is no longer "Bagdad by the Bay". I really loved San Francisco, but high prices drove me out.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi