Eccentricity Railway

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Eccentricity Railway

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ran across this on YouTube .

Edit: apparently this is the Festinog RR. What a fantastic collection of odd stuff :D.

Several restored pieces of WW1 trench railway equipment, an armored Turtle, first American petrol driven loco, a nice deep Maroon colored double boogie, Fairlie (0-6-0+0-6-0), and a must have Honda 450 motorcycle locomobile thingy.

Must be 24” gauge, to run the WW1 trench railway equipment.

Puts new meaning into the idea of eccentrics on railways.

https://youtu.be/

Edit: And, here is another video, from another photographer. Both indicate the line is the Ffestinoag RR (Wales?). Must have been a Gala steam up with invites extended to the Curiosities.

https://youtu.be/ZGtUGuAY63E

Enjoy,

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Re: Eccentricity Railway

Post by NP317 »

Wow! What a collection of unique Railway Beasties!!
That gathering must have been a riot for the participants.
Feasting remains on my Wish List to visit.
A sidecar motorcycle/B&B trip up the Welsh Coast would be the fabulous way to go.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I'd put it atop the list of musts for any visit to the UK. And I'll add that most places there are very "user friendly." If you show a reasonable knowledge about steam you can often get into shops, interlocking towers and cabs at many of the museums there. A sure-fire subject for gaining a cab invitation from engine crews is to ask a couple of intelligent questions, such as about the quality of the coal, or about their water treatment issues. Injectors and brakes are also good for that. ("Have any trouble with the injector picking up?" "Are your brakes vacuum or straight air?") That got me a short cab ride for a runaround there.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 am That got me a short cab ride for a runaround there.
And if you call it footplate ride instead of cab ride, they will invite you for another turn. :lol:

Cheers
Tom