Drive Wheels for 12" gauge

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Marty_Knox

Drive Wheels for 12" gauge

Post by Marty_Knox »

I have a set of parts for a Roll Models Sweet Creek. The customer wants me to finish it as a 12" gauge locomotive. They suggested using the existing frame and drivers and keep it an outside frame. I think it would look better as an inside frame but I will need new drivers. They should be between 10" and 12" OD, preferably with a square end counterweight. Is there anything like this available?
K. Browers

Re: Drive Wheels for 12" gauge

Post by K. Browers »

Hi Marty
Would it be possible to attach a counterweight with a boss for the crank pin to the wheel you have ? I am willing to make a pattern and have some cast for you but I think it might be a while before you might have them due to the current health emergency. :cry: . Ocean shipping cost should be reasonable.
Cheers
Karel
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Marty,

The W,F&P in Glencoe, Missouri might have 12” patterns. Most of the 12” gauge stuff seems to have 12” drivers.

(http://www.wfprr.com/). Mike Walsh is here from time to time, he would know for sure,

If you come up with a source, I could be interested in buying three or four sets of drivers also.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

K. Brouwers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:28 am Hi Marty
Would it be possible to attach a counterweight with a boss for the crank pin to the wheel you have ?
The problem with that is the wheels are already bored 2" ID, and the journals are only 1 1/2" ID.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hi Marty,
That makes it more complicated, could you turn the fly crank thinner with a boss that would press into the wheel and press the axle into a smaller hole in the fly crank. that would also give you the counterweight with a little re profiling. Grabbing at straws perhaps castings would be easier. :)
Happy building stay away from bugs
Karel