12” gauge DRGW Inspired RR

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12” gauge DRGW Inspired RR

Post by rkcarguy »

Neat 3D printed parts!
What did the nylon handles cost you?

Post by 0351 »

Roughly 3.75 each in plastic.
Here’s the link for the shapeways shop I’m working with. He has them available in 2.5” scale in the store. He had to customize mine for 3”.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NGB7P ... 3&li=shops
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Due to my funky scale (2"). And the number of handles I need x cost, I think I'll make mine on my own lol.
I've had pretty good luck forming little pieces of brass flat bar, and soldering them to washers in a fixture to make little masts and poles (for stuff for HO scale).

Post by 0351 »

rkcarguy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 am Due to my funky scale (2"). And the number of handles I need x cost, I think I'll make mine on my own lol.

Don’t blame you.
I needed 20 handles in all.
Time vs money, money won out this time around.
I’m to slow getting little details done.
I do plan to make my own grab irons.

What is your thoughts on a using a exhaust silencer on that diesel? I’ve got plenty of room under the hood. I would like to have the exhaust to dump under the chassis. Those little diesel like to coat you in smelly fumes. LOL. The smell reminds of flying in Chinooks.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I think if you made or installed a bit of a muffler and a fair diameter, long exhaust pipe after the muffler, it will offer a deeper more realistic tone. I'm not sure on the size of the muffler, I'd have to see and listen to what it sounds like with the stock one and go from there.
Because my Honda 390 is air cooled and I'm running the exhaust out the stack, I'm ducting some of the airflow up vertically around the stack in hopes of shooting the exhaust upward and over my head. (Keep in mind I'm "engineering" from a riding car though or that stack would be in my face big time).
It will also help keep the exhaust from getting too hot and causing issues with the body/paint around the stack.
I was lucky that the later S-12's utilized a huge rectangle tube stack (Some plans posted on ESPEE say they were 16" x 10"), which I was able to get fairly close to scale using 2-1/2 x1-1/2 rectangle tube.

Post by 0351 »

Been busy on the farm, not much in the way RR’n.
Did get the sample 3D printed door handles, and installed one on the cab. I like the looks better than the first glue on version, which were easily broken because of the irresistible temptation to turn them, also the cab door handles were installed in the wrong position. The old handles came off easily with a bump from a flat screwdriver. Then drilled a hole in a square to evenly locate the new holes.
The new design allows for a protruding stub to fit through a hole the sheet metal, on the inside place washer over the stub, then hold in place with a cotter pin. This allows for the handles to rotate if turned by inquiring minds. Now just 19 more handles to remove and drill holes for installation of the new version. Will wait on the handle installation until bodywork is done.
Attachments
6F5F599B-EC76-40A3-A943-66258F3E45DC.jpeg
DF315BB9-AC4C-49B5-A251-FFCE35DB98C0.jpeg
921A5216-1E62-4A9C-B167-3DF338829A4D.jpeg
6FB1DA85-4A85-47BF-9F1C-804CC8D880C7.jpeg
1F05000F-C72A-40DE-8817-F41EFD91DDF5.jpeg
E51BA9ED-A6CE-4442-9347-80241B676AE6.jpeg

Post by 0351 »

Also played around with a design and scale sized P3. Was able to acquire a folio drawing of a Nathan P3. While the P3 isn’t prototype to the SP#1, it’s a good throw back to the SP, and looks better than the single chime used.
I cut out a mock-up of the chime mainfold from a piece of 1/2” thick plastic, and used some small cheap plastic horn trumpets to get a rough idea for the final version. Temporarily installed the trumpets on a magnetic base. I’m thinking that a magnetic base might be a good idea in the future,
To be able to remove them if the longhood needs to be lifted off the chassis. Not 100% happy with the results. I may check into 3D printing the manifold. I’ve seen a great looking 2.5” 3D printed K5LA. But the price is high at $200.
Got to be a cheaper way for a realistic horn.
Attachments
9E9136CD-106E-4431-AA5B-852AF451E61D.jpeg
F65AC8D4-3913-4042-B870-2E50A195CD66.jpeg
FE4C0D50-B71F-4B44-A405-C63B952E4A61.jpeg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Very nice work, it's coming along. I really like the "cast" look on those handles.
I was able to find a metal bicycle horn on amazon that was very close to scale size for the long single chime used on many an S-12. I threw the rubber squeezy part away and will just need to make a bracket for it and turn up a little "puck" for the end opposite the flare.
Finding the proper tone for the horn to actually make sound is another issue. The big single chime is only 180Hz, a rather low tone for a horn. I haven't had any success yet finding anything to produce that frequency yet. We have a patched GP9 on our sub here locally that has one fitted to it and its really strange and deep sounding compared to the others it's MU'd to.

Post by 0351 »

Currently looking into having a Nathan manifold designed and printed, have to see what the estimated cost will be. I’ve considered adding an compresser and airtank to try one of Mega Blast PVC train horn’s P3. He makes some great sounding horns that are tuned correctly.
What bicycle horn did you get? Not real happy with the plastic ones I’ve got.

Post by 0351 »

If anyone cares to know some of the history behind SP#1, here a good video on the locomotive. Unfortunately it is currently thought to have been scrapped sometime after 2010. In in recent years there were a couple of groups interested in possibly buying SP#1, bringing it state side and restoring it. But the locomotive has disappeared, from accounts I’ve read it more than likely got scrapped. Sad! It would’ve been a great NG locomotive with a lot of history behind it.
https://youtu.be/UO_6iwRcMTg
Attachments
D22AE04E-A5A7-48B3-BEFE-A5D0A3F61764.jpeg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

0351 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:23 pm Currently looking into having a Nathan manifold designed and printed, have to see what the estimated cost will be. I’ve considered adding an compresser and airtank to try one of Mega Blast PVC train horn’s P3. He makes some great sounding horns that are tuned correctly.
What bicycle horn did you get? Not real happy with the plastic ones I’ve got.
It was just a powder-coated steel bicycle toot horn with the rubber ball on it from Amazon, and is scaled really close to the real one for 2" scale.
I know you are modeling in a larger scale, but I can see if I can dig up the link out of my purchases if you want.
Some of those air horns are 130+ Db which would get my RR reported in short order by my neighbors, but I'd think you'll be ok on your 58 acres or whatever it was. :D

I read that SP1 went to Mexico and was subsequently scrapped? That's too bad. Often, when you look at the condition of things like that though through a mechanics eye, so many things are worn out that it would be a huge undertaking to repair and rebuild. Wheelsets worn out past their minimum diameter and flange thicknesses, brakes, sloppy linkages, and so on. Have a look at the running gear work being done on that Steamer for the Alaska Railroad as an example.

Post by 0351 »

Starting working on the Pyle marker light sockets.
These sockets are a prominent detail onbtge 50tonner. There are 2 sockets on each side of the longhood nose, as well as two located above the rear cab windows. There are some great looking 2.5” 3D printed sockets advailable, unfortunately after checking dimensions they are to small for my use.
I used some fender washers, 1/8” bar, and a machine screw with the head slightly ground down, and small rivit heads to represent screws. The machine screw passes through the base assembly, and then through the sheet metal of the longhood to hold the assembly in place. Haven’t decided whether to fill the Phillips slot, solder some brass tabs for hinges, or fab up a separate socket cover made from brass sheet and attach it to the bold head.

Mocked up a wiper for the windows, yes it is oversized, finally version will be smaller and smade from brass tubing.
Attachments
DB44675B-C12C-4571-85EB-5FBC39325127.jpeg
D5E69948-3290-4A2C-BAC2-D10A638C5F84.jpeg
F5B92450-0F76-4A7A-A87E-D1BB01A5DF7E.jpeg
2D9EFEA1-F8B1-43FA-8135-0BDE2802D5A2.jpeg
65736396-BE96-43E8-8584-243F257031D9.jpeg