Mesa Grande Western: Fall 2022

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Zach_Jones

Mesa Grande Western: Fall 2022

Post by Zach_Jones »

October 15th and 16th was the Mesa Grande Western’s 2022 Fall Meet. The focus of the meet was not only running trains, but continuing the rebuild of the railroad after the Bobcat Fire of 2020. On Saturday work trains were run shuttling dirt ballast from Alkire Wye up to the diversion around Coyote Canyon. Midway through the day the skies opened up and venerable C-16 #268 took a short break from its duties to hide in the tunnel from the rain and hail. It was some of the most fun I’ve ever had running an engine. Declan Henry and I headed back home towards OCME that night. But on Sunday 2-6-0 Sharon and #268 pulled into Mesa Grande Depot, the first trains to do so in over two years. Thank you to Bill, Eber, Matt and everyone else at Mesa Grande Western for opening their unique 9in gauge operation.

(I’m going to try posting some photos, so let’s hope it works)
Attachments
Chaski1.jpg
Chaski2.jpg
Chaski3.jpg
Chaski4.jpg
Chaski5.jpg
Chaski6.jpg
Last edited by Zach_Jones on Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Orange County Model Engineers
Zach_Jones

Re: Mesa Grande Western: Fall 2022

Post by Zach_Jones »

And here are some more
Attachments
Chaski7.jpg
Chaski8.jpg
Chaski9.jpg
Chaski10.jpg
Member of the Orange County Model Engineers
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Imagine a K37 in the scale...

Post by 0351 »

Thanks for posting pictures! Glad to see the progress in rebuilding after the fire.
The Mesa Grande has Ben the inspiration for my 3” DRGW RR.
I’m curious if there are any blue prints or folios of the steam locomotives?
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

0351 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:54 pm Thanks for posting pictures! Glad to see the progress in rebuilding after the fire.
The Mesa Grande has Ben the inspiration for my 3” DRGW RR.
I’m curious if there are any blue prints or folios of the steam locomotives?
#268 was largely built to the original D&RG class 60 elevation drawing, as published in a Rocky Mountain Railroad Club newsletter in the 1940s. The mogul (Sharon) was freelanced from the same parts, just one axle shorter.
Attachments
10-05-12_D&RG_drawing-overhead-3775.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Man. That's just the most awesome thing... Love that stuff. Pictures are great, scenery is great, equipment is great... Maybe if I live long enough I can make it out there some day. I'd love to see it in person.

How much more repair do you have to do to the main line?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:13 am Man. That's just the most awesome thing... Love that stuff. Pictures are great, scenery is great, equipment is great... Maybe if I live long enough I can make it out there some day. I'd love to see it in person.

How much more repair do you have to do to the main line?
We made it up to the middle of the railroad, the main house. While the track was down we decided to make some major changes to eliminate the 6.5% peak grade in one spot and re-grade from the house to the yard switch. The earth work is done but we have to re-lay all the track in that area, and rebuild a small bridge and the curved trestle. Some ties were burned up farther up the line, and one switch was mangled from extreme heat from a burning juniper bush nearby. There's other stuff we might change while we're at it. It'll be another few years before we hit the top of the railroad again I think.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada