THE SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT LITE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

THE SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT LITE

Post by Trainman4602 »

Here are a few pictures of the headlight all lite up. There is a defusing LED in side mounted to a custom circuit board to hold the e10 socket and bulb.

Also a picture of the reflector and scale globe bulb. A lot of research went into making this reflector. Getting the right look was important to me.

Quite honestly and this is just my personal opinion, Halogen bulbs are just to bright. You can see but you blind on lookers when you are coming down the track. The halogen reflector bulbs are faceted and do not give an old school look. My bulb not only gives the proper look (Sunbeam or Golden Glow) but when it is off it emulates the prototype well and has plenty of illumination when it is on.
Attachments
WP_20150503_028.jpg
WP_20150503_008.jpg
WP_20150503_020.jpg
3129386_2_l[1].jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Re: THE SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT LITE

Post by NP317 »

Nicely done!
I look forward to receiving mine when you are shipping.
~RN
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Dave,
I have been doing a lot of research on a suitable lamp for the Stones headlight I am producing for the 25NC, like you I have settled on the E10 lamp as it’s easy to get from the doll’s house market over here. Looking at the picture I think I am right in saying you have soldered a couple of tags on the bottom of the socket that the lamp screws into and then the wires solder onto the board which I am guessing makes it easier to mount in the lamp what is the resistor for ?
I appreciate I have made a lot of assumptions in the above so I won’t be surprised if I got it all wrong

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Jim

This is the style e10 socket that was used. It is the type that can be soldered to a pc board.

The e10 bulb was chosen because there are an infinite amount of different bulbs and voltages available. Also because it resembles the original prototype bulb that the full size light used.

You can get just about any thing you need thru the internet. You may have to wait for a while to get it but it will be the proper thing to use rather then limiting yourself to the doll house parts.
Attachments
imagesCA8XCV3V.jpg
imagesCA8XCV3V.jpg (1.47 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES