3/4" Scale Box Cars

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: 3/4" Scale Box Cars

Post by Dick_Morris »

Nicely done! The material was a lot cheaper than I would have guessed.

If you don't have shoulders on the axle, you might put a piece tubing between them so there is a positive stop to keep the wheels from moving inward.

If I have my numbers right, to double them up to 1-1/2" scale the cost would be about $400, still not a bad price.

For bigger cars additional reinforcement and bolting surfaces could be done by embedding some steel into the plastic.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

FYI, the brake wheel is a G scale ox cart wheel. It had twelve spokes but I cut out six so it looks a bit better. The brake hose and glad hand are 1:20 G scale parts. I should also mention that the floor of the car is 3/4" plywood. The car is held together with 00-90 x 3/16 wood screws. I used this size of screw because it's head size was very close to the rivet head size I punch in the sheet metal.
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

If you want something closer to 3/4" scale, try Ozark Miniatures. They have several detail items in 7/8" scale, including glad hands, brake ratchets and paws, and other details.

Eric L.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

The air brake stuff and a bunch of other G scale parts I use for projects are from Ozark. We had a G scale hobby shop in the area that used to have a great selection of stuff but they closed down several years ago. Bought a bunch of stuff during the goin' out of business sale. The round firebox doors make great tank car lids. They have nice coupler pockets too.
acbailey

Post by acbailey »

Steve,

Will you be coming to the PVLS meet on August 7-9? Would love to see that great looking box car and learn more about the construction process.

Art Bailey
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hello Art,
I can't make it to the August meet but am aiming for the fall meets of PVLS and NJLS. Should have at least two cars ready by then. If possible, I will bring the molds and some parts along too.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Hey Stevo,
Nice job on the cars.it's great to see this project come full circle from. Hey I wonder to a finished car...can't wait to see the finished product!Has Murray give a thumbs up on them? Nice work.Hope to see you in the fall.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Today was our weekday get together at the club. Engines, engineers, a coffee machine and donuts. I took the plastic car out for another spin and have the following report. Very hot today with heat warnings in the area. Even though it was about 38 C, the plastic trucks showed no effect from the heat. The track is steel construction with C channel as the rail for the two gauges. The rail has a fairly sharp edge and has some rust on it.
After a day of running, there were no signs of wear on the wheels. The wheels and trucks had a rust dust coating but no signs of cutting or shaving of treads or flanges. Again, the car only weighs about 4 lbs so this is really no surprise. The only damage was to the coupler. Showing how well the car rolls to a chum, I let er rip and didn't think it would roll as far as it did. It ended up smashing into my riding car and breaking the coupler pocket pin right off. Easy fix with a drill and a wood screw.
Other then that, things seem to be looking good so far. I will continue testing this car but have gone ahead with building another one. Even if the wheels end up crapping out, the body of the car should have no issues (I hope!)
I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Steve

P.S. I should also report that these wheels held gauge being that they are pressed on without a tube backing. I could mold a better looking axle tube to slide onto the drill rod but it looks OK for now.
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hey Larry, since the mold stuff is quite easy to do, I ended up making a life size plastic Murray. Doesn't say much but a lot cheaper to feed and don't snore when you lie him down!
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Steve
Your box car is really the most to say the least. Very ingenious techniques!
Jack
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Steve Bratina wrote:Hey Larry, since the mould stuff is quite easy to do, I ended up making a life size plastic Murray. Doesn't say much but a lot cheaper to feed and don't snore when you lie him down!

Buy your "Moldy Murray" now. Call 1-416-555-5555.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Had the partially built second car out today with the prototype car. Ran for a while and had no issues. Was noticing that the car seemed to track very nicely. Even had a lap or two at Don Ritchie speed and held the rail OK. We will give a final update at the end of the season. Still trying to post some pictures but the computer is dying. I don't think that rapping it on the table a few times helped much either.