3/4" Scale Refer Cars

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

3/4" Scale Refer Cars

Post by Steve Bratina »

Since I am quite pleased with how the box cars have worked out, I decided to make up some molds to make refer cars. New A and B ends and hatch molds were made. The roof walk, frame, trucks, brake wheel and couplers are the same as on the box car. The side is 22 ga sheet metal with a paper side attached. The side is a colored O scale car side from a 1937 issue of Model Railroader Magazine. I hade it blown up on to photo paper at the local print shop. It was then trimmed and cemented onto the sheet metal side. Grab irons, corner braces, kick plates and a brake wheel was added. I have several paper sides that I could have printed so I hope to make a string of refer cars. Next up will be a gondola car.
Attachments
rf1 - Copy.JPG
rf3 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bratina

Re: 3/4" Scale Refer Cars

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here are two more shots.
Attachments
rf8 - Copy.JPG
rf2 - Copy.JPG
Erie2936

Post by Erie2936 »

Looks great Steve!
Brian Keim
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Having never seen your work, I have to ask, do you have a thread on the making of the molds?

These are extremely well done.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

I guess I could do a thread on the molds. I will see if I can post some stuff next month as time is tight right now. You might want to check the Smooth On website to see if there are any classes in your area. they would be a great aid in getting your feet wet.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello Steve!

Haven't talked to you in quite some time. Sorry I didn't see you at the Hamilton Club gettogether last Sep. 20.

Your reefers certainly look marvellous! Is the top removable ie. is the interior easily accessible for use as an ice box? One inch of foam-in-place insulation would probably suffice for keeping drinks cool.

All you'd have to figure out is the refrigeration system.:-)). Is anybody here up to it to designing a steam refrigeration system? It has been done but my knowledge of thermodynamics is too rusty to attempt this.

Besides I am too busy with my house move.

Best,

Wolfgang
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Incredible! Plastic right?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hello Wolfgang,
No, the top is fixed right to the car. Rule G you know. The Absorption Refrigeration System is what you are thinking of. As for the car, the ends, roof walk, ice hatches, main frame wheels and bolsters are all plastic from molds. The roof is plastic sheeting from the local hobby shop (Evergreen Plastic Sheets) with a 22 ga. sheet metal backing. The sides are photo paper with again a 22ga. sheet metal backing. The floor is 3/4" plywood. The grab irons are individual 1/16 brass wire pieces bent to shape and attached with 0-3/8 round head wood screws.
Last edited by Steve Bratina on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Checked out the Smooth On Website....

Most interesting. Would greatly enjoy a thread on your patterns and molds.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Steve
I must compliment you on your beautiful rolling stock and most innovative techniques. The printed car sides remind me of the old days when card stock, pencils and ink were common construction material. In the long gone Model Builder magazine, ( you old timers might remember it) a most talented fellow named Frank Ellison would make very convincing structures and rolling stock with card , ink, paint and a few little pieces of wood. From a couple feet away, which is how our models are mostly viewed you could not tell. You are well on your way to having a very fine freight train which I hope to see some day.
Jack
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Hi Steve,
The car really looks nice.
Is there any treatment to the photo paper to prevent damage from sweaty palms etc?
Andy
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hello Andy,
When finished, the car is sprayed with an automotive clear coat. This seals the car up nicely and on the box cars, it also helps seal the lettering.