A3 vs Connor Beam vs Raritan

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Weibel

A3 vs Connor Beam vs Raritan

Post by Weibel »

For a first locomotive, which would y'all pick?
Marty_Knox

Re: A3 vs Connor Beam vs Raritan

Post by Marty_Knox »

I would suggest you look at the new Allen 0-4-0, but I am slightly biased.
Attachments
008.JPG
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A3, Raretan, Allen 0-4-0, Marie Estelle, are all good small builds with lots of run possibilities, in 1.5 scale. They are pretty much the same level of build skill, and present no special challenges that I can think of. Some have castings available, others favor stock. I like the Allen mogul, just a little heavier engine, without a lot of extra work.

Dealers choice: old outline, or more modern? I like 1890's with short cars and bill board ads, home built looking.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Weibel

Post by Weibel »

Marty_Knox wrote:I would suggest you look at the new Allen 0-4-0, but I am slightly biased.
Perhaps, but that's okay.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Weibel wrote:For a first locomotive, which would y'all pick?
What scale are you intending to build and what machines do you have to build with?

Steve
Weibel

Post by Weibel »

7.5" gauge, scale doesn't mean crap to me, and at home I have a grizzly G0704+G4000 (on the way) and my clubs full sized mill and lathe.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Scale should matter. 2.5 scale will cost about 3x what 1.5 will, plus the matter of large trailer/truck to haul it anywhere.

2.5 will allow hardware store real parts and plumbing, instead of dollhouse looking, but everything else will cost you in weight and bulk. Consider carefully, and make the right choice for you.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Weibel

Post by Weibel »

Do you think that if I am asking between these three locomotives that I am really sitting here cutting hairs about scale anymore?
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

The advantage with the Allen 040 over the A3 and Raritan in 1 1/2 you would not have to scale up the plans from 3/4".

Wayne
kvom

Post by kvom »

You might look at Trainman's new engine "kit".
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

The A3 and the Allen Models 0-4-0 look much different than a Beam Engine, and a bit different than a Raritan. Since you will be "stuck" with it for years, through good times and frustrating times, pick the engine YOU like best. Also, if you are planning on running on tracks with steep grades that may influence your decision.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Weibel wrote:Do you think that if I am asking between these three locomotives that I am really sitting here cutting hairs about scale anymore?
Well quite frankly considering 2 of the 3 listed locomotives in the title of this post are, AS DESIGNED, 3/4 scale locomotives are we supposed to guess?

Ken-