Steamed Hams

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tom Miller

Steamed Hams

Post by Tom Miller »

I have been an amateur radio (HAM) operator since 1968. I seem to recall a group called steamed hams that got together once a week to talk steam on the air. Does anyone know if they are still around?
Tom Miller
K7YMX
cbrew

Re: Steamed Hams

Post by cbrew »

No, but i would be interested also,
kf7kxz
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Interesting connection here. I know so many live steamers that carry amateur radio licenses. Must be a desire to learn the technology and keep moving.

Dick, N1MDZ
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

this may give me a reason to re-spark my interest in amateur radio,
i shut them down when the 2m bands started sounding like the average cb channel and the no one seems to bat an eye.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have been having fun with the digital bands world wide from a tablet. hihi n7fiv
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

My wife, KB1TOX, and I are on the 2m band a lot.

I have to fix the HF antenna lead wire and then we can get back on to HF. The wire was a little too low and she caught
it with the 2m antenna on my car. :o

Jim B
KB1TOW
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Also one, just not active.

VE4DI
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Another (inactive) one here- VE7LGO. Granddad was one too- as well as John Crook, and probably lots of others. I think they all tie together, and have tied together, within ones brainspace of what we as people find interesting. I had a little handheld, that went missing ~2 years ago, and I haven't been active since then. I used to listen in mostly on WARA here on the island, and I use radios enough at work to be comfortable with them.

James Powell
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

Started my technical interests with steam but then moved quickly to electric motors and then ham radio. N4ISF since 1980 when I was 14. Got into it for the electronics technical aspects, studied that quite thoroughly, early 80's version of radio technology. Not much of a talker, so not active. But I did join an HF bible study net every morning for over a year till my old transceiver quit working a couple years ago. But now my old steam interest revives and I'm going after it with practical working interests in mind.
Gary Bonine

Post by Gary Bonine »

A few years back there was a photo of a 1.5" ( 1.6") scale model of a Texas and Pacific 2-10-4, this locomotive seems to have disappeared . Does anyone know the current status of this locomotive ?
Also, does anyone have a spare copy of "Engineering Handbook for Recreational Railroaders" by Nick Edwards and Chet Peterson that i could purchase ?
Gary Bonine
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Gary: The only 2-10-4 I've ever seen in this hobby was a C&O locomotive built by a set of brothers who live near Detroit. That thing was MASSIVE, weighing in somewhere around 2,200 lbs. It was an absolute beauty. They were afraid that it wouldn't go around the curves at our track, so they only fired it up once and ran it back and forth through the yard for a little bit before putting it away.

It was quite a sight. I will attach a picture.
dscn3138.jpg
Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

There was another Texas class loco built in the early 70's at LALS built by Frank Mann. I used to run my 1" scale 0-4-0 next to his Texas. Pretty funny sight.
Hey pontiacguy1 I have a 68 GTO.