Allen engine modifications

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: Allen engine modifications

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here is a picture of the first Allen Ten-Wheeler I built. I had started a Mogul in September of 1978. A year later Gene told me about his new Ten-Wheeler. He sent me the drawings but didn't have the castings ready, so I sawed the front frame extensions from solid. I used his spoked lead truck wheels, and a cast iron cab that he later used for the Consolidation. I already had the boiler built to the Mogul length, so I made a longer smokebox to make up the difference. The headlight and steam dome cover were Winton castings, the sand dome was from a Little Engines 0-6-0. The tender is fiberglass, as sold by Railroad Supply for their Mogul.
Photo by Alan Maples.
Attachments
image009.jpg
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

One of the best improvements I've seen is Blff cty lcmtv wrks' revision to the Stephenson valve eccentric arms. He straightens the reverse arm by off setting the connection on the eccentric strap allowing left/ right threads for ease in equalizing the length. This makes balancing the forward and reverse much more simple. He has some more improvements I'm sure he can add to
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Re. equalized brakes, I wrote an article on that for Live Steam, Jan/Feb 2004. There's nothing to it; just a few extra clevises and some pins. No reason not to do it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Before I switched plans on which engine to build, I planned on putting Walscharts valve gear on my engine. It was a mogul, not a ten wheeler, but I have seen less than 5 of both combined featuring that valve gear.

And build the equalized pilot, for sure.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
John.can

Post by John.can »

So just a small ideas list I'm looking to do these things and anything with an * means i don't know how to do:
1) laser cut frame with journals dropping from the bottom
2) top mounted throttle that enters through steamdome
3) fully operational train brake system with brake stand
4) equalized front truck *
5) double acting axel pump with visual flow?* it's been highly recommended but I don't understand anything what it means other than double acting. Also where would I find a Rutland pump, I'm having difficulty finding these companies unless they have ads in Live Steam magazine. Btw I just received my plans yesterday and I'm really excited but I want to get them laminated to protect them, kinkos and the ups store don't do 3x5 ft size sheets so anyone on San Diego area know of a place?
Last edited by John.can on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

John.can wrote:So just a small ideas list I'm looking to do these things and anything with an * means i don't know how to do:
4) equalized front truck *
There is no advantage to equalizing the standard lead truck for the Ten-Wheeler. It provides one point of the three point suspension, the other two points being the springs on each side. It is on the Mogul that you need to add the equalized lead truck.
John.can

Post by John.can »

I see well that makes things a little easier. I hope more people post on here I'd really like to see much more cause I know there are many Allen models out there.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

John.can wrote:I see well that makes things a little easier. I hope more people post on here I'd really like to see much more cause I know there are many Allen models out there.
I am sure you have seen it,

here is a video of the first run
Attachments
tenwheeler.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

To laminate in large format, go to a "Teacher's Supply Store" - almost all of them have wide format laminators so teachers can make posters and such. I have helped my wife to do this many times. You just pay by the foot- they zero out a counter when you start, then you just report the number to the cashier. You do not have to be a teacher; anybody can walk in - it is self-service.
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

The visual flow means the axle pump return to the tender is visible so you can see that it is pumping. When you close the bypass valve the flow to the tender stops and the water goes into the boiler. Seeing the water go into the tender helps confirm you did not lose the prime on the pump and as you close the bypass lets you get an idea how much is going into the boiler.
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

One way to add weight to the front is to fill the saddle with lead shot. I did this on the Allen 0-4-0. Once I had run it several times and was sure the piping was set, I poured about 12 lbs. of #9 lead shot into the saddle. I then covered it with refractory cement, so the shotgun stack didn't become a REAL shotgun!
Attachments
003.JPG
016.JPG
lrdg2150

Post by lrdg2150 »

OK here's mine.

John
Attachments
IMG_20130908_222512_889 (800x450).jpg
IMG_20140216_120147_183 (800x450).jpg