Watch me cut my boiler in half! **Part 2 just added 3/13**

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Donhost4449

Watch me cut my boiler in half! **Part 2 just added 3/13**

Post by Donhost4449 »

On January 1, 2015, I had a setback that might have resulted in not having steam at the Triennial. However, some awesome friends extended a helping hand, and we were able to play at the Triennial after all. This video is "Part 1" of the overhaul, and documents the work done on the boiler.

In addition to the boiler work, I took the opportunity of having the boiler off the frame to address a few other issues. The photos and videos from that work are currently being edited, and will be "Part 2." I should have that video done in the next few weeks, and will post it here when it is ready. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWBwGd85-NY

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA
Last edited by Donhost4449 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

My YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/user/donhost4449/videos
Fred_V

Re: Watch me cut my boiler in half!

Post by Fred_V »

Some guys in central Fl. have done that and said it was the easiest flue job they ever did.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Fascinating, if not a bit scary!
As a novice, I'm curious about tube rolling. Does rolling a tube flare the ends to a watertight seal, or does one roll the tube and then weld?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

PRR5406 wrote:Fascinating, if not a bit scary!
As a novice, I'm curious about tube rolling. Does rolling a tube flare the ends to a watertight seal, or does one roll the tube and then weld?
Rolling flares the tube into the tube sheet. The photos here show the tube before/after the rolling.
Attachments
iPhoneImages 560-reduced.jpg
iPhoneImages 561-reduced.jpg
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

Fred_V wrote:Some guys in central Fl. have done that and said it was the easiest flue job they ever did.
I think the timeframe from failure to hydro speaks to this. I have never done one before, but John shared with me his reasoning for suggesting this route. He said that removing the old tubes is a pain in the butt, and is an easy way to damage the front/rear tube sheets. By cutting in half, the tubes easily came out with a little help from a small mallet. There was no damage to the tube sheets. I reamed them to ensure the best seal possible with the copper.

For those interested, here is the link to the sight glass thread:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =8&t=95146

In addition, here is a video I shot while helping my friend Stathi roll tubes in his 1:1 scale Porter 0-4-0 locomotive, the Santa Cruz Portland Cement #2. Having done both, I can tell you we have it good in 1/8 scale! I was beyond sore after rolling tubes in his locomotive all day.

Chris

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I cut industrial heat exchangers in half to retube them for years....done a couple of small loco boilers this way also.

It is by far the easiest way to retube a boiler..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have to say that before seeing the vid of the dissected boiler, I was of a mind that this was dead wrong, to retube a boiler.

After looking at the vid, and with my past experience, it makes total sense, as long as a simple cut is possible, on the shell.

Kudos, as I am a hard one to convince.

Dave.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Great video, thanks for putting it together and sharing with us!

Bill C.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

on bigger exchangers, we used to weld clips on the outside, and create 'bridges' that would be used to realign things as we welded them back together.

this is because we frequently used to cut the shells with a torch...sometimes having to cut around pipes entering the shell from the side...and 'straight cuts' were just not possible.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

Bill Shields wrote:on bigger exchangers, we used to weld clips on the outside, and create 'bridges' that would be used to realign things as we welded them back together.
The clips are a good idea. We sprayed a white strip and etched a straight line on the sides, top & bottom.
Attachments
iPhoneImages 168 - reduced.jpg

Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The guys in Fl. put punch marks in 3 spots around the boiler and spaced them 1/2" apart. These let them align the 2 pieces exactly the way they were before cutting.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

As promised from the original posting, I have completed "Part 2" of the locomotive rebuild project. Enjoy!

I know for some the embedded link doesn't work, but this should: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90lpHcrWCk

Chris Donhost