Locomotive stand design

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RET

Re: Locomotive stand design

Post by RET »

Hi,

If you want to find the center of gravity for your locomotive, the easy way is to tip it over so it balances perfectly on one rail. Make sure you have sufficient leverage so you can control the locomotive. When it is in the balance position, a vertical line will go through the locomotive center of gravity. Tip it to the other side to get a second line. Where the two lines cross is the height of the center of gravity. If you are planning to use the stand for more than one locomotive, check the CG. height on each one. Because the heights will likely be different, you may have to take the average height.

I would also suggest that you do this tipping process fairly close to the floor in case the locomotive gets away from you. Small locomotives are OK, but the bigger ones need careful thought before you do anything.

The spring rigging on some locomotives may be captive, but all of this stuff needs to be checked. Don't assume.

Richard Trounce.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Richard, This is a great suggestion. I actually have three locomotives where this would be very handy to know - particularly when transporting and Lifting.

Thanks

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RET

Post by RET »

Hi Glenn,

I said "never assume," and then I assumed that everyone would realize that the vertical line is supposed to go through the rail the locomotive is balanced on. While most will probably interpret what i said that way,I am just as guilty of errors as the next guy!

Sorry about that.

Richard Trounce.
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Amos Harting a long gone live steamer from St louis built his engines on a rotisserie type setup that he said he picked up from the English modelers. You might want to look to old model engineer mags.On my little tank 0-4-0 I can tip her up on the pilot beam and a wood spacer to the smoke box, and work on here under sides :D Small engine are great, try doing that on a 4-8-4
super7b

Post by super7b »

To rotate for building or to maintain a completed loco I use a home made stand as shown in the pictures. The end with the gearbox is bolted to a steel bench (that is plywood lined on the top). The column is hollow box section with a "nut" ie a block of steel that fits inside the hollow section and is threaded through. Fixed to the nut is a length of threaded bar. The top of the column has a cap fitted and a thrust washer and a head fitted to the threaded rod. Fitted to the head is a reversible ratchet spanner.
The loco is then wheeled up to the column and in this case the buffer heads are removed and a bolt passed through each head into a purpose made cross piece, then bolted up tight. At the opposite end of the loco another column, without a gearbox is positioned and bolted to the bench (I have 4 different sets of holes along the bench to suit different lengths) The loco is secured in a similar way.
The two spanners are now operated to raise the loco to the required height. The gearbox is part of a Rotork Actuator with a handle fitted opposite to where the motor would have been. The handle is turned and the loco can be rotated through 360 degs. As it is a worm drive box there is no need for any device to stop it rotating on its own. On a complete loco the C of G becomes apparent, but does not affect the operation. My locos are smaller then those that were mentioned in the original post, but the design can be sized up, mounted on the floor etc., etc. The principle is transferable to almost any size
Attachments
This is the assembly with the gearbox at the far end, the loco is a UK Midland 4F in 7.25"
This is the assembly with the gearbox at the far end, the loco is a UK Midland 4F in 7.25"
This shows the assembly part rotated, ideal when building. Should any extra holes be needed a steel plate is bolted to the table top and a mag base drill can be used.
This shows the assembly part rotated, ideal when building. Should any extra holes be needed a steel plate is bolted to the table top and a mag base drill can be used.
The business end showing how the buffer beam if fitted and the shaft from the actuator passing through the "nut" The shaft on the rhd side is where the original motor was fitted.
The business end showing how the buffer beam if fitted and the shaft from the actuator passing through the "nut" The shaft on the rhd side is where the original motor was fitted.
The view from the gearbox end. The column has a slot running from almost top to bottom and a "clamp" to secure the gearbox to it.
The view from the gearbox end. The column has a slot running from almost top to bottom and a "clamp" to secure the gearbox to it.
The top of the column with a bolted on top and the ratchet spanner. Use too fine a threaded rod and it takes forever, use too coarse a thread and its quick but hard, hard work!
The top of the column with a bolted on top and the ratchet spanner. Use too fine a threaded rod and it takes forever, use too coarse a thread and its quick but hard, hard work!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

that is really cool!

as RET said, if you try to do that with a big engine, I would not only be concerned about the stand, but what would happen to the frames, being loaded in a place where they really are not intended to be loaded.

As strong as I make my locos, I would be very skeptical about putting the entire load on the beams and the bolts that secure them.

this would be especially true of a 'built up frame' as opposed to the nice strong plate frame you see here or a similar one-piece we see commonly on this side of the pond.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Super7b- great design you show us! This is sort of exactly what I had in mind in the beginning, but hadn't thought out how exactly it might work.

For a larger engine, my loco is 12" ga for example, I think it's a simple matter of building a beefier frame. I use heavy 3" square box tubing for my existing fixed loco engine stand, built with wide box shaped bents at both ends for stability. I think one could build your frame with four legs rather than two - then mount the gear box assembly to raise and lower between two legs, with some kind of vertical lift - either a screw device such as yours, or a small electric winch to raise and lower. This would take care of any frame strength and stability issues that might arise from lifting larger engines.

Way cool idea. Thanks for presenting!

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

super7b

Post by super7b »

Went for a five mile test run yesterday that was uneventful apart from the need to get to the bottom of the boiler where a stud that helps to retain the grate had decided to fall out. So as an unplanned bit of maintenance the stand came into use again. This loco is almost 48" long over the buffers and weighs in at 342lbs. One the other loco had been removed this was rolled on lifted up and rotated. There was no need to go completely upside own, but I thought why not?
Attachments
Raised to where I wanted it to be.
Raised to where I wanted it to be.
Starting to turn, this is before coal, steam oil and all sorts of bits fall all over the place.
Starting to turn, this is before coal, steam oil and all sorts of bits fall all over the place.
Never seen one of my locos like this before! All plain sailing, no problems at 90 degs, it just rolled round as the gearbox rotated it smoothly. I suppose hat the size of this loco suits the build of the stand. Someone has commented that it would put a strain on the frame, but I am not aware of any evidence of this. The overscale size of buffer beams and associated bolts etc. sees to this.
Never seen one of my locos like this before! All plain sailing, no problems at 90 degs, it just rolled round as the gearbox rotated it smoothly. I suppose hat the size of this loco suits the build of the stand. Someone has commented that it would put a strain on the frame, but I am not aware of any evidence of this. The overscale size of buffer beams and associated bolts etc. sees to this.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Beautiful Job! The worm gear is brilliant. I wonder what US builders could find. A rack and pinion set-up would also not "back-drive" I think?

I am also impressed with your anti-gravity coal!
super7b

Post by super7b »

The anti-gravity coal is a board with coal glued to it and loose coal piled onto top, the loose stuff wasn't the anti-gravity type!!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Kimball McGinley wrote:The worm gear is brilliant. I wonder what US builders could find. A rack and pinion set-up would also not "back-drive" I think?
Unlike a worm and gear drive with a single-start worm, a rack and pinion drive is reversible. If that weren't the case, any automobile with rack and pinion steering would not straighten out coming out of a curve without the driver putting input into the steering wheel.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I found some gear driven electric motors recently in the on-line robotics world. Not sure how big they are, or how expensive it would be to lift and turn say a 1000# loco. But they were advertised as reversible - so could turn in both directions. To bad the mechanical world has faded away so completely here in the US...