Quick-Disconnect fittings for air brakes (Part # needed)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shayloco

Re: Quick-Disconnect fittings for air brakes (Part # needed)

Post by shayloco »

One could 3D print a non-functional glad hand and put it in the middle of the hose. It would need a hole to pass air through. Or better: cast the non-functional glad hand in bronze to have a little weight to pull the hoses down.
Timely info as I am about to add air brakes to my cars.
10KPete wrote:No, not the same. However, if there is a bulkhead mounted female (or male) on the car ends, and a hose with two male (or female) ends, then the hook up is un-sexed. But the connector is not in the middle of the hose....

Where are the scale glad hands hidden??? Does no one make them?

Pete
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

10KPete wrote:I think I found 'em!

http://www.cpcworldwide.com/Product-Lis ... ategory/43

The name fits with what I sorta remember and they look right....

Specifically:

http://www.cpcworldwide.com/Product-Lis ... roduct=187

Pete

Here is one half of the coupling (like shown in the previous photo):

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=926

Here is the other half:

Hope that helps!

Pete
Do they make these in a 5/16" tube size for water connection to an injector?
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

10KPete wrote:I think I found 'em!

http://www.cpcworldwide.com/Product-Lis ... ategory/43

The name fits with what I sorta remember and they look right....

Specifically:

http://www.cpcworldwide.com/Product-Lis ... roduct=187

Pete

Here is one half of the coupling (like shown in the previous photo):

Here is the other half:

Hope that helps!

Pete
Nice work, Pete! That sure looks like the part to me.

At our club, the absence of air pressure in the line sets the brakes. So if the cars become disconnected they will immediately go into full emergency stop. Its a great system and very safe. I don't think the fittings were designed to be pulled apart in that way, but in actual practice, it does work.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

or if you are looking for something that looks and acts like a glad hand
http://www.chehalemmachineworks.com/Pro ... =Gladhands
I have been running these since version one with great success
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I've seen those 'glad hands' (not in person) before but nothing that indicates what holds them together. You're using them, please tell me? Also, what sort of price is asked for those?

Phil, I"m glad I was able to find them. I did wonder about the pull apart as I know they are not at all designed for that. They don't break or crack??

I do want to have AAB on my stuff; full function AAB. I'm finding out, however, that most clubs out here run either vacuum or a few have none. I'm not sure how, or if, I should handle that. I probably won't have any rolling stock for a while after the loco but I will certainly want to pull some cars. It will be figured out somehow.....

Thanks guys!!

Pete
Just tryin'
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Those glad hands are made/marketed by Kent Bolerjack. He usually hangs with the guys at the New Unionville & Western down in Southern Indiana. Supposedly, Kent's got an ad in Discover Live Steam. They run approx. $30+ per pair not including s&h.

Met Kent once several years ago. He showed them to me. But at that time, I wasn't about to refinance the house to equip a fleet or partial fleet of rolling stock. Interesting idea from the video...combine the use of Clippard MQC quick connectors with the glad hands at the halfway mark between cars. On the flip side...these glad hands are NOT self sealing like the Clippard MQC's when the female part of the connector is removed. Depends whether you're running air pressure "high" to activate the brakes or air pressure "low" to activate the brakes. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

10KPete wrote:I've seen those 'glad hands' (not in person) before but nothing that indicates what holds them together. You're using them, please tell me? Also, what sort of price is asked for those?
assuming you are asking me :) these glad hands are cnc machined for repeatably/interchangeability. even version one will connect to the latest version.
each unit has a pin the sliding into the mating unit with o-rings on each unit creating the seal.
the cost is $25 a pair. these are machined by a good friend of mine out of newberg oregon.

they will NOT inter change with the other brand on the market. John made some improvements over the original design that was featured in a hobby rag many moons aho
10KPete wrote: I do want to have AAB on my stuff; full function AAB. I'm finding out, however, that most clubs out here run either vacuum or a few have none. I'm not sure how, or if, I should handle that. I probably won't have any rolling stock for a while after the loco but I will certainly want to pull some cars. It will be figured out somehow.....

Thanks guys!!

Pete
a few of us are running automatic air brakes and can share cars. we have set a few standards that allow us to do so.
NOTHING is better then aab.
with my equipment, the loco, tender and tool car run independent brakes and everything behind the tool car are automatic, so dropping the train is easy as shown in the video above.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

ccvstmr wrote:Those glad hands are made/marketed by Kent Bolerjack. He usually hangs with the guys at the New Unionville & Western down in Southern Indiana. Supposedly, Kent's got an ad in Discover Live Steam. They run approx. $30+ per pair not including s&h.

Met Kent once several years ago. He showed them to me. But at that time, I wasn't about to refinance the house to equip a fleet or partial fleet of rolling stock. Interesting idea from the video...combine the use of Clippard MQC quick connectors with the glad hands at the halfway mark between cars. On the flip side...these glad hands are NOT self sealing like the Clippard MQC's when the female part of the connector is removed. Depends whether you're running air pressure "high" to activate the brakes or air pressure "low" to activate the brakes. Carl B.
Thanks for the information! Did you see how the two halves are held together?

The Clippard parts are available so that both sides have shut-offs, either side does, or neither side. You select the set configured the way you want or order the individual parts you want.

Pete
Just tryin'
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

:roll: :shock: :?
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

cbrew wrote:
10KPete wrote:I've seen those 'glad hands' (not in person) before but nothing that indicates what holds them together. You're using them, please tell me? Also, what sort of price is asked for those?
assuming you are asking me :) these glad hands are cnc machined for repeatably/interchangeability. even version one will connect to the latest version.
each unit has a pin the sliding into the mating unit with o-rings on each unit creating the seal.
the cost is $25 a pair. these are machined by a good friend of mine out of newberg oregon.

they will NOT inter change with the other brand on the market. John made some improvements over the original design that was featured in a hobby rag many moons aho
10KPete wrote: I do want to have AAB on my stuff; full function AAB. I'm finding out, however, that most clubs out here run either vacuum or a few have none. I'm not sure how, or if, I should handle that. I probably won't have any rolling stock for a while after the loco but I will certainly want to pull some cars. It will be figured out somehow.....

Thanks guys!!

Pete
a few of us are running automatic air brakes and can share cars. we have set a few standards that allow us to do so.
NOTHING is better then aab.
with my equipment, the loco, tender and tool car run independent brakes and everything behind the tool car are automatic, so dropping the train is easy as shown in the video above.
Thank you for the information! Can you tell me how the two parts are held together? Magnets? Snap fit? Magic? :D

It's too bad there are two guy making two similar air connectors and they aren't interchangeable :cry: But that's how life seems to be with this stuff.

So tell me more about your standards. I'm really serious about this AAB business and, since you are here in the PNW, I'm likely to run across you and your friends with this system. I hope!!

Pete_the_greenhorn
Just tryin'
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

10KPete wrote: Thank you for the information! Can you tell me how the two parts are held together? Magnets? Snap fit? Magic? :D
Looking at the image you can see the pins just above the oring, that slides into a socket on the mating unit.
10KPete wrote: It's too bad there are two guy making two similar air connectors and they aren't interchangeable :cry: But that's how life seems to be with this stuff.
yeah,,, John and the other gentle man released them the same year,,, we was surprised,,, they are both based off the same articale. but just enough changes to make then not interchange (we tried at Train Mountain)
10KPete wrote: So tell me more about your standards. I'm really serious about this AAB business and, since you are here in the PNW, I'm likely to run across you and your friends with this system. I hope!!

Pete_the_greenhorn
if i can, i will get into the details tomorrow, I have a 4am wake up and need to get to bed. PM me, and i will be happy to get into all the details you want :) BTW it looks like you are a day trip from us,
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I guess I'm not asking the question correctly, Chris. I see the pins, holes and o-rings but what is not plain to me is the actual retention mechanism; the part of the design that keeps the two halves together snugly until pulled upon. What keeps the halves from just vibrating apart?

I'll catch up with you when you get back.

Pete
Just tryin'