Just picked this mogul project up off of DLS

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

redrocco

Just picked this mogul project up off of DLS

Post by redrocco »

I had been looking for something in 7 1/4" gauge but I couldn't pass up this 4 3/4" gauge one. I found a previous listing for this the last time it sold on DLS just over 2 years ago. The original seller listed this with the following info in the description.

4-3/4" gauge chassis runs on air. I don't know what scale or design. This 0-6-0 project was left to my father over 30 years ago. It was made by an engineer friend of his who worked at the Ortlieb brewery in Philadelphia PA.

Just wondered if any one recognized this or knows anything more about its history or the original builder. It looks to me based on how the drivers are spaced that it was intended to become a mogul but never got its pilot truck built or installed. There is a chance its a 0-6-0 but I think most of the time switchers had even spacing between the drivers. This poor thing has been hanging out for over 30 years unfinished and I hope to correct that before this summer.
Attachments
100_0730.JPG
1000_0733.JPG
DSC03327.JPG
SteveM

Re: Just picked this mogul project up off of DLS

Post by SteveM »

I saw that one too.

The front looks too short to me to put a pilot truck on.

Does it look like it has any mounting points for a truck? Or is the frame built with clearance for the pilot wheels?

Steve
baggo

Post by baggo »

It seems to me that it should be an 0-6-0 with a much shorter boiler. The wider gap between the middle and trailing axles is usually to accomodate the firebox between them.

It looks as though the whole thing has been stretched to make it look more like a switcher.

John
Secretary of The National 2½" Gauge Association
Member of North West Liecestershire SME

http://www.modeng.johnbaguley.info
redrocco

Post by redrocco »

There does not seam to be any mounting points for a pilot truck or its possible they were not installed yet. There might be the space for like 2" to 2.25" pilot wheels and there is some flexibility in how the front pilot beam is installed. I will post up some more pics of the frame tonight.
The more resent owner was the one who started the work on the boiler and I am still unsure of how much of his fabbed parts I will use. The smoke box and smoke box door pieces look nice and should be fine. All the copper parts look rough and will be replaced by me. The other part of the boiler that has me concerned is that the pipe that would enclose the smoke box is a separate piece from the rest of the boiler. It almost looks like he may have been planning to have the firebox portion "seprate" from the boiler with just the flue tubes running through the boiler section. While this would probably work I have some concerns about this design one of them being that with out water surrounding the firebox it will get way to hot and the steel may start to deform. It would also be way less efficient as so much heat would be lost. I was thinking I would build a scaled down version of the boiler for the allen models mogul for this loco. From some of the pictures of the allen mogul boiler I have seen it looks like it only has 2 rows of stay bolts along the sides or am I missing something? I might just have to order the mogul prints from allen models to work from.
Attachments
ebay 5.jpg
100_0727.JPG
cab end of boiler.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Does that boiler have enough flues?

To my (untrained) eye, it doesn't look like enough for coal. Maybe propane?

There is a boiler design (the name escapes me) that has no water legs on the sides. It saves you from having to stay the firebox, but it's not as efficient as you have all that heat going out the sides without any water picking it up.

Steve
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

SteveM wrote:Does that boiler have enough flues?

There is a boiler design (the name escapes me) that has no water legs on the sides. It saves you from having to stay the firebox, but it's not as efficient as you have all that heat going out the sides without any water picking it up.

Steve
Briggs boiler and they are VERY successful boilers.

Keith
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

Most of the steam locos I've seen have the smokebox separate from the boiler. First it makes accessing the parts for connecting steam lines, oil lines, blower, petticoat, etc... much simpler since you can get a wrench from either side. Even the Kozo book did that for the A3. Looking at the pictures I questioned the boiler setup. Tube arrangement made me wonder what the real boiler plan was in the first place. Like was it laying upside down for the photos with all the tubes on the bottom??

But I think you got one great deal and look forward to seeing it around someday.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
Fender

Post by Fender »

This doesn't look to me like a Briggs boiler. The Briggs doesn't have water legs around the firebox, but still has a crownsheet with water above it. Even so, most of the steam is generated from the firebox, not the tubes.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Fender wrote:This doesn't look to me like a Briggs boiler. The Briggs doesn't have water legs around the firebox, but still has a crownsheet with water above it. Even so, most of the steam is generated from the firebox, not the tubes.
I was replying to Steve's post where he said he couldn't remember the name of the boiler with dry water legs. I agree with you that the boiler on the 0-6-0 is not a Briggs.
Keith
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think if it were me, I would junk this boiler and build a locomotive boiler with water legs and all. I would make it shorter so that the ash pan and all will go down between the two wide-spaced set of drivers, like it was probably originally designed to do. Your engine wouldn't be something like this would it?
live-steam-locomotive-1-gauge-pv_360_3296882d38629cb5f952e8658f9239df.jpg
live-steam-locomotive-1-gauge-pv_360_3296882d38629cb5f952e8658f9239df.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
This is a 3 1/2" gauge LBSC design locomotive. Looks a lot like the chassis you have, except smaller.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Keith,
I didn't understand your post to mean that this particular boiler was a Briggs design. Rather, I was responding to Steve's post, to draw a distinction between what a Briggs design is vs. what this boiler appears to be.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

whatever that boiler mockup is supposed to be => I would head in another direction and grab a piece of copper pipe and start over
Too many things going on to bother listing them.