Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Rwilliams

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by Rwilliams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Back in the early 1980 era I was in the dark corners of a shop in the Morgan Hill area. I was looking at an Allen ten-wheeler that was for sale by a guy named Barry Bickle. He had quite a collection of steamers in various gauges. I seem to remember seeing a small scale SP cab forward lurking under one of the canvass covers in his shop. It could be that the cab forward in the video was one of the rare events when he had the locomotive at the GGLS track. It was set up to be run from the cab from what I remember. He told me how he would use a riding car next to the cab and run the locomotive tender first down the track. It was odd looking to see the engine running down the track in reverse, but with the cab controls, that was the only option at the time.

keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Rwilliams wrote:The big C&O articulated was a real monster and the largest locomotive Andy C. ever built. He was a master at fabrication of parts or milling parts from sold stock. It is doubtful that any patterns exist for the locomotive. The new owner is back East somewhere nearer to the C&O heritage of the model.
Andy Clerici's C&O Allegheny H-8 operates today on the 7 1/2-inch gauge railway of the "C&O Railway Heritage Center - Clifton Forge , VA"...

Ken Shattock
IBLS

Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:31 pm

All,

Andy's H-8 is still at the C&O Railway Heritage Center in Clifton Forge, VA. However, I do not believe their agreement with the owner allows for it to be operated. It is a gorgeous engine and I hope to get to see it in person one day myself.

They also have in their collection a very fine 1.5" C&O K-2 or K-3 Mike that was built by retired C&O/Chessie machinist/fireman/engineer Bill Bursey who lived his entire life in Clifton Forge and worked for the railroad until he retired in the 80's. I did get to see this engine in person and it is quite a machine. Except for the wheels, it was entirely fabricated from bar stock. Bill built it with functioning, scale rocking grates. I don't think it ever had a fire in it and he never got the tender completed although he had started the Commonwealth tender trucks when I met him about 10 years ago.

I would hope the live steam contingency at the C&OHS can see its way to finish the tender and operate the Mike. IMO, it would be equally the show-stopper that the Allegheny is.

Rob Gardner

keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Hey Sir Rob-- If what you say about Andy's H-8 is true, how do you explain this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCW1ndiDIek

Ken Shattock
IBLS

kenrinc

Post by kenrinc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Well considering that the video was uploaded nearly 8 years ago I'd pretty much guess that things have changed ....

Ken

squandt

Post by squandt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I have two photo's from 1981 of the engine you are asking about, if I recall right it was in August,at a meet at GGLS.I took my 4 year old son to see the meet.The engine was not complete,but running,had not been painted yet.I do not know who it belong's to, I will post them if I can figure out how to make them bigger.
stay on the shine side of the rail

squandt

Post by squandt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:28 pm

here are the two photo's .

squandt

Post by squandt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:44 pm

had to resize to get to fit. Here are the photo.
Attachments
Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 pm

The cab forward engine in this photo was taken at GGLS and the engine is a Lester Friends articulated. 3/4" scale. It was owned by member Henry Pass of Oakland Ca. If i remember right I sold it for Henry at LALS many years back. Henry turned it around and made a cab for it to look liks a cab ahead.

keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm

**********THE MYSTERY IS HEREBY SOLVED !!! ************

The locomotive shown at GGLS years ago is a 3/4-inch scale, 3 1/2-inch gauge 2-6-6-2 built by the late "Lester D. Friend" of Danvers, MA. The late GGLS Member ''HENRY PASS'' got hold of it and tried to "turn it around" and make an SP Cab Forward out of it !! The man standing nearby is GGLS Member "Charlie Pickup" !!!!!

As "Art Baker" used to say on TV years ago, Chaski Live Steamers, YOU ASKED FOR IT !!!!!!!!

Ken Shattock
GGLS Club Historian
Secretary, IBLS

keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm

**********THE MYSTERY IS HEREBY SOLVED !!! ************

The locomotive shown at GGLS years ago is a 3/4-inch scale, 3 1/2-inch gauge 2-6-6-2 built by the late "Lester D. Friend" of Danvers, MA. The late GGLS Member ''HENRY PASS'' got hold of it and tried to "turn it around" and make an SP Cab Forward out of it !! The man standing nearby is GGLS Member "Charlie Pickup" !!!!!

As "Art Baker" used to say on TV years ago, Chaski Live Steamers, YOU ASKED FOR IT !!!!!!!!

Ken Shattock
GGLS Club Historian
Secretary, IBLS

Sorry for the duplication, fellows ! Postwar Bob called me at home on the phone a few minutes ago..
k.s,

Fender

Post by Fender » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

keyrouteken wrote:
Rwilliams wrote:The big C&O articulated was a real monster and the largest locomotive Andy C. ever built. He was a master at fabrication of parts or milling parts from sold stock. It is doubtful that any patterns exist for the locomotive. The new owner is back East somewhere nearer to the C&O heritage of the model.
Andy Clerici's C&O Allegheny H-8 operates today on the 7 1/2-inch gauge railway of the "C&O Railway Heritage Center - Clifton Forge , VA"...

Ken Shattock
IBLS
I lived in VA and saw the H-8 operating at the museum several years ago. As I recall, this engine was on loan from another museum in Kansas City, and the agreement did not allow it to be operated. Nevertheless, it was operated for a time, perhaps due to a misunderstanding of the terms. But the last time I saw it, the H-8 was on a stand inside the museum, with no future plans to operate it.
Also, I knew Bill Bursey and spoke with him about the mikado he built. I don't think he ever intended it to be an operating model. He said he didn't put any gaskets on the cylinders, for example, because that was not his intent. He just wanted it to be an accurate model. His approach was to build everything exactly as shown on the C&O prints.
Dan Watson