Tender - Infos

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SP-4-2401

Tender - Infos

Post by SP-4-2401 »

Hello everyone,
I,m back from my Vacation and wanted to let everybody know how much I appreciated your Help and Information you provided !
My next Project, is a Tender....
Can anyone provide me with Information, Pictures or even a blueprint from a Tender that I like to build!
Any Infos I could get is very much appreciated!
Highiron

Re: Tender - Infos

Post by Highiron »

I have some tender prints, but what is it you are wanting/trying to build?
pictur would be helpful

Mike
Little Engines
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Mike, he is building an SP P-4 light Pacific, specifically #2401

2401 was delivered with a 70-C tender, where 70 indicates 7000 gallon water capacity and C indicates a cylindrical (Vanderbilt) design. When rebuilt to P-4 it was likely given a 100-C tender, which is a 10000 gallon tender made by adding water courses to the 70-C. It is hard to tell which version of 100-C. SP added a digit after the tender type, such as 100-C-3, with the 3 indicating the specific type. There were minor differences in types - number of hatches, running board height, type of trucks, handrail shape. It is difficult to tell types even with photos, the SP had tender cards that listed the assigned locomotives, that would be the definite answer.

Edit- It looks like Roger Goldmann has a drawing for a 100-C rebuilt from a 70-C. The tender listed at the bottom of the page with number BK 833-12377 would be very close, and the tender truck CL 1269 would be a good truck under the tender.

http://modelsteamengines.tripod.com/dra ... enders.htm
Last edited by jcbrock on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Brock
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Southern Pacific rostered a large and varied fleet of tenders to meet the needs of locomotive assignments. The bigger Pacific class locomotives usually featured a 10,000 or 12,000 gallon tender. Trucks could vary from 4 wheeled trucks to six wheeled trucks depending on the assignment. Another issue was the division assigned to and whether it was ATS territory or Block signal territory. The Automatic train stop ATS system required a special duplex induction coil on the tender and related control valves under the cab and inside the cab. A special air filter was also located under the cab to keep the delicate parts of the ATS system free from bits of grime known to give the system operating problems. The piping used in air systems years ago was notorious for internal corrosion and the related scum constantly becoming part of the moving air stream.

Tenders often changed to different locomotives based on what was ready to go when a locomotive was released from the shops. Some locomotives had several tender swaps in just the course of a single year. Sometimes only a couple of the digits needed to be changed on the back of a tender to keep the engine/tender numerals the same.

Backup headlamps on the rear of the tender could vary with the time frame of the photo. During the 1930 era, an Oliver lamp might be installed. later a Sacramento headlight might be found on the back of a tender and in the final years of service, a Pyle National was a very popular headlight on both ends of a SP steamer. Up until the time after WWII, a Keely can could often be found hanging from the tender frame ready for the doctoring of the next overheated plain journal bearing somewhere in the train.
SP-4-2401

Post by SP-4-2401 »

Hello,
I,m building a Tender for the P4
I have only a few Pictures, not much more!
I would like to know what the exual Size of the Tender is? ( Messurements)
Prints would help!
Thanks again for your Help!
SP-4-2401

Post by SP-4-2401 »

Hi,
If I understood that correct than it must be the last two Drawings from the List of Roger Goldman be?
Is that correct?
Thanks!
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Correct, at the very end of the page.
John Brock
SP-4-2401

Post by SP-4-2401 »

Thanks, I will order those drawings