Stainless steel balls for check valves and pumps

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Andy Rafferty

Stainless steel balls for check valves and pumps

Post by Andy Rafferty »

I have finally used up what I thought was a lifetime supply of ss. balls. I don't need 50 or 100 of any size where are ya'll getting 0.312/0.250 etc balls these days?
squandt

Re: Stainless steel balls for check valves and pumps

Post by squandt »

Mcmaster Carr has them and will sell to you on there web site, I am sure you can find them on line from other site's,the one's I have gotten from Mcmaster have been in bag's of 100/50.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I googled it and got 25 from Amazon; 5/16" 316SS. When I go them they were magnetic. Now I question if they are SS or not. They cost 5 bucks with free shipping so I'll keep them.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I would check those supposedly ss balls you got from amazon, yes some stainless varieties are magnetic but you don't want your check balls to be attracting metal particles. One of our local steam guys bought some supposedly ss balls from iirc fastenall and then tested his engine once using them. Then when he tried to fire up at the track the engine had all sorts of problems, all the check balls he recently replaced were not only very rustly but had bits of metal stuck to them. Since we did not have good known spare replacements he was done for the day before he got started.
daveb

Post by daveb »

I bought several sizes of supposably ss from McMaster. All were magnetic, so I'm not sure what they are.
Dave Barker
Kennebunk Me
baggo

Post by baggo »

Another possibility is to use silicon nitride (ceramic) balls. I haven't tried them myself yet but they are reputed to be harder than and have a better surface finish than steel. They are available from various sellers on Ebay etc.

We have the same problem over here with stainless balls that are magnetic. It certainly pays to check them with a magnet but don't forget that some stainless steels are slightly magnetic.

John
Secretary of The National 2½" Gauge Association
Member of North West Liecestershire SME

http://www.modeng.johnbaguley.info
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

Most SS balls will likely be a 400 series which can/is magnetic. Also not the more corrosion resistant of SS's. I've always liked Bronze for checks or away from heat, delrin is even better for sealing. Many of the Stanley Steam Car drivers are using delrin, nylon, or other plastics in their water pumps pumping up to ~600psi.

I've bought many bearing balls from the bearing ball store. I can't directly speak to their SS versions but they have a variety of materials and smaller quantities across the board. Not by the piece but lesser than some places. And I've always had quick shipping.

http://bearingballstore.com/
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Fender

Post by Fender »

A J Reeves sell phosphor bronze balls in smallish quantities. And, they are most assuredly not magnetic!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Type 316 is "negligably magnetic" and is typically used where a non-magnetic alloy is needed.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

McMaster sells type 304, 316 and 440 stainless balls, the 316 should not be magnetic. The 304 will be partially magnetic and the 440 will be magnetic.

I have had no issues with the type 316 ones.

Rob