Moseley Generator Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Moseley Generator Drawings

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Barry had the parts for a operating generator for sale. Don't know if he sold assembled units however.
I think it was about 1996-1998 when I bought a set of castings (rough), the detailed covers, and a rotor and field assembly. (3 volt)
I have them in my shop presently as I never finished putting it together. He told me he did not have drawings, but I figured I could still figure it out. What he did not have for sale was the turbine wheel. He did have one that he loaned me so I took dimensions of it before returning the wheel to him. I then went on to make lost wax castings , but the balancing pushed the project to a whole new level and a shelf ! My steaming buddy Tom bought 2 casting sets and fields (6v) , but I never made the wheels for him. My recollection is we paid $325 for each generator kit at that time
Rich

If you have a copy of the Locomotive Cyclopedia for 1930, the MO-6 generator is in there as I recall
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Rich....

As I remember, Barry never sold assembled, working Moseley generators. Shortly after he took possession of the Moseley items, Barry told me he had decided the cost to manufacture a working generator would, in order to make a decent profit, cause the selling price to be so high that the number of potential sales would be limited. Due to that fact, Barry decided it wasn't worth the investment, in both time and money, to proceed with the project.

While Barry and I were discussing the generator costs I asked him if he planned on offering either an assembled dummy, or the individual body castings to make a dummy generator and he told me, "no". Barry told me he was concerned a hobbyist lacking the abilities and expertise to make a working generator might take the dummy and attempt turn it into one that did. Barry also told me he didn't want people to think that, because the castings came from SuperScale, the poorly made or performing "working" generator came from his company and as a result reflect badly upon it, himself, or Francis Moseley. That was pretty much the gist of our discussions regarding it.

Barry may have finally decided to sell castings for the generator to a select few who he was confident wouldn't try to make one that worked. Or the castings with the other components to those, like yourself, who he knew would have the ability and expertise to make a generator that actually worked and worked properly.

Do you know if Barry made it widely known that the Moseley generator castings and parts were available for sale?

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I had this filed in my catalog file. It was stuck into a 1990 Superscale catalog along with a 1992 price list. That may date it . . . or I may have just stuck it into that catalog. I vaguely remember seeing an ad or flyer from Barry offering a few completed generators. At least some of them were non-standard voltage. This was maybe 25-30 years ago. The attached letter might have been a response to me making an inquiry. I just assumed they were left overs from Moseley.
Attachments
img20170507_00303909.jpg
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Dick....

The way I understand the letter you attached, is that Barry was selling "new old stock" inventory obtained with his purchase of the Moseley molds, tooling, etc. So it would seem Barry either had a few finished items that Francis retained for himself, as well as production spares and surplus parts produced by Francis. Possibly, Barry had enough parts to assemble a few working generators himself.... Who knows? It would also appear at the time Barry wrote this, he (Barry) had not yet started production or sold any generators assembled with parts of his own manufacture.

BTW.... $300 in 1992 dollars would be approximately $530 today.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

LL
I talked to Barry at length at the 1995 IBLS West Coast Meet and maybe that was when I decided (with Tom) to buy the incomplete generator "parts". We also talked at the 2000 IBLS meet, so I am not sure when this all happened. Barry told me he was talking to a fellow live steamer in Nevada about buying his patterns and inventory, so I had to move fast.
Anyway Barry told me he had the parts and just no time for a generator project with his other business going. I think he was getting into casting frames for a large loco (?) . As I said earlier, I do not know if he ever made a running generator or We just happen to get the end of his storage lots. The Generator housing , and the electrical components were separately priced in case you just wanted to build a dummy, which I did not want. Again Barry warned me that he offered no support for the project...which was fine with me. I gathered we bought the last as there were only two 3 volt windings and one 6 volt on hand. Tom and I would have gotten all the same voltage (6 V preferred) if it was available . Building the generators was not a big deal for me after I talked to Richard Dean at that time . He really knew his stuff !

Rich