Oil firing with a Bagley burner

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

slsf1060

Oil firing with a Bagley burner

Post by slsf1060 »

Posing a question to the fine folks out there in radio land who are using a Bagley burner in their locomotives...

Do you see any benefits to drying the steam out by running the steam supply thru the firebox? I've read that on some other atomizers that it was suggested to do so.

I've also read about preheating the oil. Any thoughts in regards to the Bagley?
Darren McNeely

and the sons of Pullman Porters, and the sons of engineers,
ride their father's magic carpets made of steel.

www.swlsonline.org
TEAMTSM

Re: Oil firing with a Bagley burner

Post by TEAMTSM »

you won't need any of that fancy jazz, pipe it simple and easy and get a needle valve for the oil and a smaller needle valve for the atomizer and you will run all day and be fine and should not go out when running.
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

No heating of the oil or steam. Keep it simple. If it's not working, it's not because you need to heat the steam or fuel.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

on smaller boilers (8 inch or smaller with short steam domes), I have found a benefit of running the steam line through the furnace cement that lined the fire pan. it acts as a "dryer" allowing running a higher water level on railroads with close grade changes. if a little water was carried into the pipe, it was flashed to steam. needing to increase the oil was the worst thing that would happen if a large slug of water was picked up. but to fight that is to add a relief valve just above the normal high psi for the atomizer. but it did not happen enough to justify it tho. some may say it was not worth it, but it was my experience it was.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I run both oil and steam lines in the firepan refractory as Chris said. I also have found the engine (burner) works better after the engine heats up for 20 to 30 minutes. My guess is the refractor gets hot enough to heat the two lines cast into it. I also use a steam regulator on the atomizer and blower lines.