Time table and train order?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

johnpenn74

Time table and train order?

Post by johnpenn74 »

While reviewing an old video "Railroading in the Land of Giants" I got to wondering if anyone out there still has interest in running a TT & TO operating session. Dare I say card order, but most card orders I have been to lately tend to be more of a finite number of locals and extras with self authorizing warrant. Does anyone out there want to try it against the clock?

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
ccvstmr

Re: Time table and train order?

Post by ccvstmr »

John, you might want to check out the website for Deerfield and Roundabout Ry in Lake Forest, IL. They have been doing exactly what you're inquiring is about. Anyone participating in activities at the Comanche & Indian Gap Ry. might do similar. Since the guy that set up the D&R operation had a hand in transporting that type of operation to C&IG. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
tomc

Post by tomc »

We on the Sandy Ridge & Clear Lake Railway have run TT&TO operations also. Maybe I can get our webmaster to post a timetable on our web site. It is a lot of fun and education to do one of these.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
NCBQGUY

Post by NCBQGUY »

TT&TO and Car Cards are two separate concepts that can be used in parallel.
Car Cards/Waybill systems are schemes to determine the logic of movement of loaded and empty cars on a railroad.
TT&TO is one form of controlling the running of trains over specified sections of railroad.
Both are designed to consolidate the many people and processes of a real railroad so that a few operators can enjoy a reasonable simulation of the prototype and both fall within "Operations".
Charlie Vlk
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

One of the larger issues I've seen with TT&TO is the issue of who copies the orders?? Either you need some folk happy to be operators at key stations (maybe they like rail fanning) to copy the orders or you need the crew of the train to do it, usually acting as a station operator. The other key feature is making sure that those scheduled trains running on a timetable are generally able to keep to that schedule. If they are only passenger or through trains, getting those average times isn't too hard. If you have switching to do, then it requires watching a lot more crews to see what the 'normal' time should allow for them to work and normally keep on schedule. The big issue becomes how long do people wait for a scheduled train that is late or how late does it have to be for the dispatcher to issue a 'run late' for the scheduled train that is running behind. Otherwise people may be sitting somewhere for a long time.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world