Air Compressor Governor needed

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tomc

Air Compressor Governor needed

Post by tomc »

Hi, I need one for our 3 inch scale air pump. I would like it to go to 80 psi or so and stop the compressor and come back on about 75. Anyone have a working one to sell or plans for one?

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Steggy

Re: Air Compressor Governor needed

Post by Steggy »

tomc wrote:Hi, I need one for our 3 inch scale air pump. I would like it to go to 80 psi or so and stop the compressor and come back on about 75. Anyone have a working one to sell or plans for one?

Tom C.
Are you looking for electric control, mechanical, ???
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
tomc

Post by tomc »

mechanical as no electrical on engine to hook to although that mite get me to add a battery.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Who makes the 3" scale compressor?

Thank you,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Little engines has a kit.
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

tomc wrote:mechanical as no electrical on engine to hook to although that mite get me to add a battery.

Tom C.
The reason I asked about how you want to control your compressor is because the air compressor on my F7 is continuously driven from the prime mover, and thus requires external loading and unloading to maintain air pressure in the proper range. I use a normally-open solenoid valve to load and unload the compressor as needed. I also have a normally closed solenoid valve piped into the bottom of the main air reservoir to drain condensate.

Control is achieved with a non-adjustable pressure switch (purchased item) wired to a control module that I designed and built. The module has the logic required to sequence the two valves to regulate air pressure and keep condensate out of the main reservoir. The locomotive's 12 volt electrical system supplies the juice needed to make it work.

Operation is as follows:
  1. As long as air pressure is higher than the cut-in point (~90 PSI on my F-unit) the compressor unloader valve will be de-energized and therefore open, preventing the compressor from charging the reservoir. The reservoir drain valve will also be de-energized, which means the valve will be closed.
  2. When air pressure drops below the cut-in point, the pressure switch will close, initiating the control sequence. The first step in the sequence is to energize the reservoir drain valve for approximately one second, causing it to open and discharge air and condensate from the reservoir.
  3. In the next step, the control module will de-energize the reservoir drain valve, causing it to close. Simultaneously, the compressor unloader valve will be energized, causing it to close. The compressor will commence charging the reservoir.
  4. In the final step, which occurs when reservoir pressure has reached cut-off (100 PSI in my F-unit), the compressor unloader valve will be de-energized, causing it to open and unload the compressor. The air compressor and control system is back to the state described in step 1 above.
The above sequence is prototypical for many Diesel locomotives, although in some cases, reservoir drain valves may also be cycled on a time schedule. In practice, I found that cycling the reservoir drain once per compression cycle was sufficient.

As for your desired pressure range, a five pound differential will required an adjustable pressure switch—fixed ones aren't that close.

Does this sound like what you are looking for?
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:As long as air pressure is higher than the cut-in point (~90 PSI on my F-unit) the compressor unloader valve will be de-energized and therefore open, preventing the compressor from charging the reservoir.
Interesting. Wish you'd have commented on the state of the compressor motor, which I imagine is also not running at this point. I understand the unloading, as my 5 horse Quincy works that way (motor starts, hydraulic pressure rises, closing the valves), but it also cycles the motor on and off, which is how yours work, I suspect. Leaves me with a question, though, when you said "preventing the compressor from charging the reservoir", possibly implying that the motor is running at this point, but not compressing.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

I have a Quincy 325 and due to poor power supply (since corrected) I had to be able to unload the head but keep the motor running, or never be able to run anything else when the compressor started up.
I plumbed in a D-2 air governor from a truck, cost $11. It lifts the valves in the head at 125psi and drops them to start pumping at 100.
Way to low pressure for my likes but I was able to get by til a new pole and transformer fixed the power issue.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:As long as air pressure is higher than the cut-in point (~90 PSI on my F-unit) the compressor unloader valve will be de-energized and therefore open, preventing the compressor from charging the reservoir.
Interesting. Wish you'd have commented on the state of the compressor motor, which I imagine is also not running at this point. I understand the unloading, as my 5 horse Quincy works that way (motor starts, hydraulic pressure rises, closing the valves), but it also cycles the motor on and off, which is how yours work, I suspect. Leaves me with a question, though, when you said "preventing the compressor from charging the reservoir", possibly implying that the motor is running at this point, but not compressing.

H
Harold, I'm describing the air compressor in my F7, which is mechanically driven from the prime mover and hence is continuously running.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, BDD. I didn't understand how it was powered. That all makes sense. The compressor is running if the engine is moving, but provides air only when the unloader closes the valves.

I reread your original post and see you already made mention. Seems to have slipped right past me!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

tomc wrote:Hi, I need one for our 3 inch scale air pump. I would like it to go to 80 psi or so and stop the compressor and come back on about 75. Anyone have a working one to sell or plans for one?

Tom C.
Morning Tom, from our other thread, I am assuming and understood this to be a steam pump, it is not clear in this thread and many are assuming you are referring to a electric pump.

please confirm or deny :wink:
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.