Boiler Build Issue

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

Re: Boiler Build Issue

Post by BClemens »

7018 would be fine except that using it you will be contending with lots of slag. You would need to completely get rid of the slag before the next filler pass. How about backing the area with copper then using 70S; TIG the patch in? Then smooth it on the inside where the copper was.... mighty tough call.

Maybe some others have an idea to share for this....?
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

I'm thinking I'll just stick with TIG. If i were to patch the hole from the inside using the 5/16 PVQ Material, what pertinent part of the ASME code would apply to determine sizing, reinforcement e.t.c. Even If i Were to scoop out the entire area, including the half-coupling/elbow I don't think the resulting hole size would be over an NPS 3 size in the 8" sch 40 barrel.

I have a buddy that works in the field and therefore has access to Power Boiler, Power Piping, Welding, Material Properties e.t.c. sections of the code.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

That's the correct route - I believe - you're on the right 'track'. Do you have a handle on what and how this happened?
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I don't think there is an issue with code here, I think you might want to be looking for someone that does welding for a living to fix this.

John B
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

IMG_20170712_201748908 (4).jpg
Hi All,

Here is where I am after talking with our club welder. He recommended patching the hole with 6010 and the doing fill/cap with 7018. Here is a photo of the 6010 step complete, except for some more grinding of the left over BB's. I was surprised at how much punch those red 3/32 6010 rods have at only 60 amps.

-jlakes
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

jlakes,
You probably know that you can knock the flux off those rods and DCEP TIG with it.... 7018 works fine that way without AC. For most welding 6010, 6013, 7018 are about all I use - except for some Allstate 275 now and then. The 6010 is a good all around rod with lots of hot strength - hot tear resistant. Perfect for tacking an assembly together. You may still want to peen those welds with a back-up on the opposite side. Looks like you're doing fine though....
BClem
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

IMG_20170713_195810162.jpg
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi All,

Here is where I am with the 7018 fill/cap. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Bill, I still can't get over how fast those 6010's helped me recover from that massive void. I think TIG welding in general just went down a few notches and stick welding went way up in its place.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

TIG nor MIG will ever replace stick welding! It's an extremely well developed science considering the alloys and even the flux coatings and their effects on the weld. The only fault stick welding has is that it's somewhat dirty considering the flux to chip off...but behold what's under there!

That looks to me like a fine repair job. What caused the flaw?

BClem
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

jlakes,

Since you enjoy welding, here's a sample of what an electron beam weld looks like. The material is Niobium. (super-conducts at liquid helium minus 456°) The 'cavities' look like Rushton locomotive cabbage stacks - almost perfectly shaped...
Attachments
IMG_5356.jpg
IMG_5355 res.jpg
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Bill,

My sneaking suspicion regarding the porosity is some residual kerosene left over on/in the half coupling of the aux pipe assembly after hydrotesting and before welding into the barrel. I used this to get rid of some residual teflon tape/sand (from hot bending) and clearly paid for it BIG TIME.

Are those electron beam devices used in certain instances by steam fitters for assembling small dia high pressure piping in a lab setting? I remember seeing a video somewhere on YT as a promotional for the local over in Long Island City..I think its one of the few instances where a steam fitter is wearing a white lab coat to the job site as opposed to the usual workwear.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Yes, it is 'high pressure' because these welds are subjected interstellar vacuum - low pressure like into the E-7 Torr. The multi-cell superconducting cavities in a cryomodule are subject intergalactic vacuum and that's super low pressure E-8 and 9 Torr.

Cleanliness in welding is very important and is one of the most forgotten conditions with usually catastrophic consequences. Looks like you've recovered.