Please Help Identify This Loco

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

elm53

Re: Please Help Identify This Loco

Post by elm53 »

Some of these early alcohol fired engines were scenic locomotives ,not made to haul people,but to run on a track alone. The same as todays G gauge live steam locomotives.
Hero

Post by Hero »

Well, Glenn, I wrote this in my original post:

"By the time I received the loco someone had lost many parts, among them the pressure gauge, the smokebox door, the firebox door, the light, the bell, one of the dome covers, and both connecting rods. There may even have been a tender at one time, I was told, though there certainly isn't one now."

So no dome, bell, light. The pictures in which it is painted black were taken before I acquired the loco and were kept with it. At some time after that things were stripped off, including the paint and sundry parts, and what you see in the last three pictures is basically what I got, though I do have the cowcatcher, wooden front buffer, side walkways and some other small stuff.

I doubt that I'll ever find the builder, as I can't locate the fellow from whom I bought it in Canada some 15 years ago, and he didn't know much about it anyway.

Before 1920? Hey, the older the better! And, as you say, a good winter project....
Hero

Post by Hero »

Ah, thank you, elm53! I somehow couldn't see this thing as powerful enough to haul people, despite its size.

Between you and Glenn, you may have inspired me to cobble together a small track in the back 40 next spring and give 'er a run or two. Any idea of a minimum curve radius?
Hero

Post by Hero »

Glenn,

Just saw your P.S.. what about cab windows in Ontario, Canada (near Parry Sound)? CN, CPR, TH&B, Ontario Northland?
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Hey Larry. I will have one of my scenic engines at the secret PVLS Meet in August. Why not come down and watch them run around the track!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hero wrote:Glenn,

Just saw your P.S.. what about cab windows in Ontario, Canada (near Parry Sound)? CN, CPR, TH&B, Ontario Northland?
Keith would know a lot more than I. Maybe he will be able to comment. Or some of our Canadian friends...

Iam just a poor backwoods Northwest rainforest guy...not all that familiar with Eastern seaboard railroading.

To bad the parts have gone missing. Somehow I missed that when I read through your postings. I'll bet you could make up a new steam dome by forming a bit of copper sheet or brass shim stock around a hardwood mold. Also you could have a nice couple of replacement molds for castings made up for the other missing parts - or maybe print them directly using Shapeways, or somebody locally that has access to a printer. The parts would be quite small in size and relatively inexpensive to make.

All sorts of possibilities these days.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Hero

Post by Hero »

I'll have relatively little trouble making the missing parts, since I have the photographs and a few machine tools that I almost know how to use. I also find back issues of "Live Steam" and "Model Engineer" handy as sources for drawings and information about things like the bell and the dome.

What I'd really like is guidance on how to treat the boiler. If it's still basically sound, I'd like to know if I can solder in a few bushings where there is currently just threaded copper....

I'll muddle through this winter.
Hero

Post by Hero »

Hey! Found this video just now, an old, poor-quality one that I thought I'd lost.

https://youtu.be/VeAHRlz3f2A

At least there's proof that it does run....
Hero

Post by Hero »

Hi