Locomotive Water Issues

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Locomotive Water Issues

Post by Bill Shields »

I can concur with

1> non lifting
2> doesn't like pressures above 100 PSI, but this is a somewhat flexible top-end based on phase of the moon, height of tide(s), ambient water temperature and witchcraft. Some weeks, 85 PSI appears to be the top limit.
3> made by MACC models in the UK (or whoever supplies them).

The same applies to the injector sold by AJ Reeves...the outside is a little different but the operation is exactly the same.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Shlick88

Post by Shlick88 »

Everyone- thank you so much for your input and advice over the last week! I was out of town for work so I’ve just now had a chance to read through everything and reply. This website has been a huge help and thanks again for taking the time to lend some help! I did my best to try and reply to anyone who asked questions etc…Hope this provides some insight.

Quick note: This engine is kept at my grandpas railroad at the moment, located about 5 hours away from where I live. I’ll be traveling back down in September to spend 3-4 more days working on it before we prep everything to be stored for the winter. I won’t be able to get any pictures until I go back.

In reply to Miserlou57:
- I didn’t realize the owner of SuperScale has passed away, sorry to hear that. I appreciate you pointing me towards Eccentric as I’ve done some looking at their products and spoke with the owner, thinking this might be a good choice for an injector upgrade.

In reply to ccvstmr:
- Thanks for all of your insight and questions, I definitely appreciate the advice! In addition to Eccentric I’ll have to take a look at Mercer and Locoparts. I’ve tried to do my best at answering the 8 questions you posted.
1) I believe the injector is installed correctly. I’ll try and provide a photo in a few weeks.
2) I can’t guarantee the line is tight. I would give a decent probability that this could be to blame. The water feed line was connected that morning shortly before we steamed up. It’ll be one of the first things I check when I make my next visit to make sure the hose clamps are as tight as can be.
3)We were getting a good flow of water.
4) We did test the check valve when we steamed up and it didn’t appear to be stuck, don’t think that’s our issue.
5) I’m 80% positive the delivery pipe from the injector to boiler was same size as water outlet but I’ll need to verify since I wasn’t present for the original installation of the injector.
6) Would have to test on next visit.
7) Using a brass ball valve.
8- A&K injector was brand new, first time using it.

In reply to Fender:
- Air leaks could very possibly be our issue, I’ll need to double check our connection when I visit in September.
- The tender was completed cleaned out before using. We also run our water through a filter between the hose/water thank. We use a filter when pouring water into the tender and the water outlets from the tender have a filter applied.

In reply to Pat Fahey:
- Agreed on prefer a good injector, nice looking engine!

In reply to PeterCraymer:
- All great advice, sounds like some much needed experience to learn that routine. When we do our next steam up I’ll definitely try to this process and see if something similar works.

In reply to OSUMiner:
-Very good advice on the steam pumps and filter. I agree 100% with having multiple ways to get water in the boiler. Ultimately, my vision would be having a working injector (either one we have or one from Eccentric), new steam pump, and axle pump. Positive we’ll ultimately decide to scratch the hand pump. Right now it’s just taking it one step at a time starting with the injector. I’d like get the injector fixed or new one installed this September and focus on the steam pump/axle pump next year.
- I do like your strategy with the fuel filter, might have to see if we can implement something similar.
- I’ll have to look into Keim Steam Pumps, thanks for the advice!

In reply to Harlock:
- Currently safety valves are set at 100/110. Ideal operating pressure is around 90-100 PSI.
- I’ll have to get back to you on the A&K injector #.
- Complete honesty, I haven’t spent a lot of time looking at the plumbing that comes from the tender. Definitely one of the first things on my to do list when I get back down there. Good thoughts on the tube bends vs elbows though.
- I believe we’re using globe valves for our check valve and when tested, had no issues.
- Injector is located below the waterline of the tender.
-100% agree on the hand pump, probably not part of our long term plans.
- really appreciate your advice, all good things to consider.

Thank you again for all the good advice, I’ve also posted a video from our first test run. Anxious to get back to work on this engine next month. For now the decision is if we wait and try to get the A&K to work or pull the trigger with a new injector from Eccentric.

Video of first test run: https://youtu.be/QdeX6ExHEQ8

Burlington Little Line
4-6-2 Pacific 1.5"
Omaha, NE
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

A bit surprised no one has mentioned disassembling and cleaning your injector. It could simply be partially clogged due to poor maintenance and long service. I once had an injector that didn't work, having symptoms a lot like what you describe. Mine was a cast bronze commercially made injector. Turned out the injector was old and had built up just enuf bronze green corrison and salt deposits etc on the internal parts to prevent the internals from opending and closing properly. I disassembled and soaked the casting and all the parts in vinegar for a day. Cleaned out gunk with a cotton swab. Then it worked just fine.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Shlick88

Post by Shlick88 »

Glenn Brooks wrote:A bit surprised no one has mentioned disassembling and cleaning your injector. It could simply be partially clogged due to poor maintenance and long service. I once had an injector that didn't work, having symptoms a lot like what you describe. Mine was a cast bronze commercially made injector. Turned out the injector was old and had built up just enuf bronze green corrison and salt deposits etc on the internal parts to prevent the internals from opending and closing properly. I disassembled and soaked the casting and all the parts in vinegar for a day. Cleaned out gunk with a cotton swab. Then it worked just fine.

Glenn
Good idea but this is actually a new A&K injector, never before used. The previous owner didn't have an injector on this locomotive. He relied solely on the hand pump and axle pump.
Burlington Little Line
4-6-2 Pacific 1.5"
Omaha, NE
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

There is a good view of the injector and plumbing at 10:58 in the video.
Shlick88 wrote:Video of first test run: https://youtu.be/QdeX6ExHEQ8
I have Olenkamp injector mounted a bit lower and further back under the cab. I've used a Super Scale economy injector is the same location. The connection between the tender and the locomotive is hose slid over tubing and if I don't tighten the clamps the injectors will spit and sputter. In the video I see hoses on the inlet with no clamps.

What did you see when the injector wasn't working? Did it blow steam, water or a mix? Did it spit and sputter with the check valve clattering or just a steady discharge from the over flow?
Shlick88

Post by Shlick88 »

I know I'm a few months late but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that provided input on this post! We ended up ordering an injector from Eccentric Engineer and wow were we impressed. We installed it in the morning and we were able to enjoy about 4 solid hours of running with no issues. We've still got some work cut out for us as we look to fix the axle pump and hand pump while considering adding a steam pump. Long way from finished but this was a big win for us- appreciate all the help and feedback. For anyone looking for a quality injector, I'd definitely recommend EE!
Burlington Little Line
4-6-2 Pacific 1.5"
Omaha, NE