Help Identifying & Valuing Train

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, cbrew

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 am

Hi guys,


I've come into the possession of a train that I know fairly little about, but from what I can tell, it is a 1:8 Live Steam Train meant for a 7.25" gauge track.

It's a Crampton style mostly based off of the LNWR Liverpool with some details that look to be from the L&M Lion.


I'm looking to sell it, but am unsure on what to ask or how the best way to sell it may be.

From what I can tell, some pieces are missing (So it cannot be easily tested)

Any guidance?


Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_6857.jpg
IMG_6858.jpg
IMG_6859.jpg
IMG_6860.jpg

Pontiacguy1
Posts: 683
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Pontiacguy1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 am

Only Crampton I ever heard of in the US was built by Victor Shattock and was owned by his late grandson Ken Shattock. This wouldn't be it would it? I believe it was 7 1/2" gauge, though.

User avatar
Fred_V
Posts: 4093
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:26 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Fred_V » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 am

I believe it is a Crampton and what a beautiful model. I would leave Florida and move the New England if I owned that just so I could run it. Amazingly nice example.
Google "crampton steam locomotive"
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.

User avatar
LVRR2095
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:50 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby LVRR2095 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 am

Harry Quick of Mahoney City, Pennsylvania built a 7 - 1/4" gauge Crampton, but I don't believe this is Mr. Quick's locomotive.
It was a fascinating thing of beauty to watch in motion.

Keith

User avatar
backyardrails
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:08 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby backyardrails » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:09 am

Do have the tender?
Bernie Grow

Steve Bratina
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Cambridge Ontario

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Steve Bratina » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

Hey Bernie,
Joe Cardelles stuff is what you need.

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:03 am

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Only Crampton I ever heard of in the US was built by Victor Shattock and was owned by his late grandson Ken Shattock. This wouldn't be it would it? I believe it was 7 1/2" gauge, though.


Actually I'm in Canada (Vancouver) where the train was originally built.

I'm not familiar with the Shattocks.

To the best of my knowledge, the train was created by a machinist who left the country and gave it to his friend. That friend had it for a while, fell ill and passed it on to my friend who has had it in his TV room for a few years now. Apparently there was a spec binder at one point in time, but it seems to be lost.

I measured again earlier today, and I'm fairly sure it actually is a 7.5" I'll post a picture of the wheel width soon to hopefully clear things up.

Chris

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 am

Fred_V wrote:I believe it is a Crampton and what a beautiful model. I would leave Florida and move the New England if I owned that just so I could run it. Amazingly nice example.
Google "crampton steam locomotive"


Thanks, I have done a bit of googling on that. The tough part is that all these trains are basically custom, so I have little to compare to.

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:08 am

backyardrails wrote:Do have the tender?
Bernie Grow


Unfortunately not.

Chris

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:10 am

LVRR2095 wrote:Harry Quick of Mahoney City, Pennsylvania built a 7 - 1/4" gauge Crampton, but I don't believe this is Mr. Quick's locomotive.
It was a fascinating thing of beauty to watch in motion.

Keith


They are great trains. The downside on ours, is that I haven't been able to see it go. :cry:

I'm not familiar with these sorts of things and would be concerned about operating it wrong.

User avatar
Fred_V
Posts: 4093
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:26 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Fred_V » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 am

If you measure between the wheels it should be 7- 1/8" for 7.5" track. The Vancouver track is 7.5".

As far as value of this train that is hard to say as it is such an odd ball and no tender will hurt the price. You could put it on https://discoverlivesteam.com

This is THE place to advertise an engine for sale. You could say "make offer" or put in a high price and see what happens. It is very common that people think their stuff is worth much more than it really is so buyers will always make offers which opens the negotiation phase and you can dicker back and forth.
Good luck,
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 am

Fred_V wrote:If you measure between the wheels it should be 7- 1/8" for 7.5" track. The Vancouver track is 7.5".

As far as value of this train that is hard to say as it is such an odd ball and no tender will hurt the price. You could put it on https://discoverlivesteam.com

This is THE place to advertise an engine for sale. You could say "make offer" or put in a high price and see what happens. It is very common that people think their stuff is worth much more than it really is so buyers will always make offers which opens the negotiation phase and you can dicker back and forth.
Good luck,



Thanks Fred,

What do you think my initial asking price should be?


Return to “Live Steam”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests