2-1/2" Scale brake valves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

2-1/2" Scale brake valves

Post by JBodenmann »

S61.jpg
S61.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
Hello My Friends
Here are a couple photos of the new 2-1/2'" scale brake valves. Both S6 and H6 are available and in stock. The main body castings are bronze, the operating handles are yellow brass. The valve discs are cast iron, the operating shafts are 303 stainless, detent ring is hardened steel. O ring seals are Buna N. They have detent located positions for release, lap, service application, and emergency application. The S6 (engine brakes) is available only as a straight air valve. The H6 , automatic air valve is available as a straight air valve, automatic air valve or also straight or automatic vacuum. Vacuum valves at a slight extra cost. These valves will not work with steam. Let me know if you would like a steam brake valve and if there is enough interest I will make some. See the for sale section for more photos and pricing and availability.
Happy Model building
JackAvailable only machined assembled and painted satin black.
H61.jpg
H61.jpg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
amarget

Re: 2-1/2" Scale brake valves

Post by amarget »

Hi Jack. Drew Marget from Melbourne Australia. I have Bruno's K 36 over here and I am very interested in purchasing these brake valves. Interestingly, the loco is set up with the S6 as the train brake valve which runs on air and the H6 as the engine brake which runs on steam. I am not sure why however that is how Bruno set it up and it works very well. So at the moment I would be interested in purchasing an S6 from you to replace the one currently on the loco and if you were to make an H6 to operate on steam down the track I would be very interested in replacing the current valve fitted as it is Ok but not great. I am not sure how to PM messages however if you would like I can also email you to discuss further.
Thanks Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Just finishing up a gaggle of 2-1/2" Westinghouse brake valves. Both H6 and S6. Check out the sales section for the details.
Jack
Attachments
S6 2.jpg
H6 2.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Looking so nice! What a pitty they are a little too big for my tiny A engine.

All the best by asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you steam head. I have made them in 3-3/4", 2-1/2" and 1-1/2" scale. I may be making some smaller scale valves in the future. A scale S6 independent valve in 3/4" scale would be 1/4" in diameter.....That's really small. I will be needing one for the 3/4" scale J1e. But it would probably need to be a bit oversize, maybe 1" scale. Heavens to Betsy...where's the optivisor?
Jack
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,

What about this? I made it for use within my class 44 of 1 : 10 scale about 40 years ago :)
Prototype was a standard Knorr train brake valve. It was built as a reducing valve used for the direct brake yet. Size is about 20 by 20 mm
Still working, pencil drawings are still available and may be scaned :?:
The tiny lever seen in front is used for conveniant access from outside the back window :idea: .

Carry on!
Asteamhead
Attachments
Reducing brake valve, scale 1 : 10
Reducing brake valve, scale 1 : 10
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Check out the cool box labels my friend Jim made for me.
Jack
Attachments
H6PRINT 2.JPG
S6PRINT 2.JPG
amarget

Post by amarget »

Hi Jack. Drew Marget from MELBOURNE Australia. I have Bruno's K36 down here which is running beautifully. I am keen to purchase an S6 brake valve from you. If you are happy to post one to me that would be great. Happy to forward remittance any way that suits you including postal costs of course. Could yo pass on my best to Bruno also.
Thanks and regards
Drew Marget

email is. amarget@margeteng.com.au