Blower

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Blower

Post by rkcarguy »

Gentlemen, as a product suggestion, there are blowers available for venting the engine compartments on boats that are 12 volts, quiet, cheap, and available in several sizes and CFM ratings. Most are plastic, so you'd want to make sure it's far enough away that it doesn't get melted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilge+b ... 20&bih=934
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

NP317 wrote:Referring to Marty Knox's discussion of dissolved oxygen in the boiler water, and the damage it can do, I have developed a steam-up process that decreases possible oxygen damage:
During steamup I leave a valve open on top of the steam dome. I let steam blow out for several minutes after the water boils. This is supposed to allow oxygen to escape before pressure build up. I learned this process years ago from operators at the Univ. of Washington steam plant. I'd be interested in Marty's (or anyone's) opinion of this procedure.
~RN
Russ, I would say that is an excellent practice. It is more common in stationary practice than in locomotive practice.
I have done it, sometimes unintentionally.
Why isn't the pressure coming up?
Oops, I left a valve open!
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Is "dissolved oxygen" different from the oxygen that the boiler water is actually made of?

David
BillF

Post by BillF »

Builder01 wrote:Is "dissolved oxygen" different from the oxygen that the boiler water is actually made of?
Yes, it is. The oxygen in the water is one oxygen atom bonded to two hydrogen atoms. The oxygen in the atmosphere that dissolves in water is molecular oxygen: two atoms of oxygen bonded together. A water molecule is not going to break down into oxygen and hydrogen atoms until it gets to a temperature well beyond what any of our metals can stand. But, molecular oxygen, just like atmospheric oxygen readily participates in reactions like those that drive life, and those that cause corrosion. The dissolved oxygen in water is what fish need to "breathe" and low oxygen is what usually causes large fish kills in shallow waters in the summer.

In industrial processes that need water for washing but need to avoid dissolved oxygen, "de-oxygenated water" is often used, and is produced by bubbling pure nitrogen through the water for some length of time.

- BillF
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

>A water molecule is not going to break down into oxygen and hydrogen atoms until it gets to a temperature well beyond what any of our metals can stand.

We don't have to worry about it at the temperatures we deal with but much above 300C self-ionization increases enough to make pure water rather corrosive.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Fascinating, thanks guys!

David
FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

Bill Shields wrote:I use a granger blower

1TDN2

made an adapter to cover the inlet and stick down in the stack.

40 years old, still running
Just ordered it. Any pointers on the adapter? Stack Straight into the inlet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

FRED DADDI wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 am
Bill Shields wrote:I use a granger blower

1TDN2

made an adapter to cover the inlet and stick down in the stack.

40 years old, still running
Just ordered it. Any pointers on the adapter? Stack Straight into the inlet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 CFM? Won't that take a couple of days to raise steam?
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

more than enough air. I also use one on my COAL FURNACE....

adapters can be anything you like. I have one that drops into the stack (stack is cast and has a bead on the outside). I have another that fits INSIDE of a stack that is a straight piece of pipe.

Here is a picture of the 40 year old critter.

This adapter is brazed to a piece of sheet metal that is then screwed to the inlet
Attachments
blower.jpg
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Fred:

If you need a better picture, I can do that. If you want to SEE IT I will be at PLS boiler test day end of April.

I can do dimensioned drawings if you want...but I need to know stack info....
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I have a small blower like that on my Chloe; takes over an hour to raise steam. I understand that you don't want to heat up too quickly and I control that on larger blowers with a damper or, better yet, raise the motor up to create a gap between the motor and blower housing.
Pick you poison.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That is odd because that blower will raise steam on my 3/4" Hudson in 15 minutes or so and on my 1-1/2" 2-8-0 Camelback in about 1/2 hour...and on the Tom Thumb in 10 minutes (but that is a very small boiler)...

Perhaps 'similar' is applicable.

as I said...with this blower, I run 1/2 of my coal furnace to heat my house....