New record in South Africa

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

James Powell

Re: New record in South Africa

Post by James Powell »

In 3.5, it may result in a flangeless driver... right dad?

(note, it wasn't me who was speeding with the Caribou, and broke a flange !)

I think Don and Richard can attest- I go fast on 3.5". Mind, Don broke off a drain cock more than 25 years ago when the J2 came off at COALS. That was the same week that Dad & Don were at TSME and the transformer exploded due to lightning. I think "my" Britannia beat them both that year, driven by the builder. Dad made 22 laps in 20 min, meaning around 7.5 MPH on the ground, on a 3.5" gauge riding car...and I was quite a bit quicker than he was the only time they let me drive there. The most spectacular one involving me was on the circular track when I managed to fall off the riding car (which was 3.5" gauge, rather than 4.75"), sliding backwards, and then fell over sideways, leaving the train running. It would have been where the bases were on the stumps (so it was about 4' from rail height-ground), and I was lucky enough to just stun myself.

(from the TSME website, probably Hazel Boneham, photographer)
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

With pit stops of up to 5 minutes per hour that makes their feat even more remarkable. That's 5 times 24 or 120 minutes when the train was NOT running.

In order for Train Mountain to attempt what it did took a lot of work beforehand. The course was just over 9 miles long and they spent almost a month prepping the track to help eliminate as best as possible any cause for a derailment. Fortunately there were none. Train Mountain's average speed was just a little under 10 MPH. The end result was a pretty good running track for some period of time for the rest of the members! :D

Congrats to the hearty steamers folks, job well done! Russ
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's pretty amazing that It ran that long without needing any maintenance or repairs. You'd think the firebox would need to be cleaned out in that much time. Likely ball bearings in everything? Or it was pretty sloppy by the time the run was done.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

A sort of related story from LALS in California.
A young David Rhorer and friends drove Dave's then new SR&RL No.5 for 37 hours non stop except for fuel, water, lube and crew changes at a Spring meet in the early 1980's. Oh, and the fuel was chunks or hard wood brought from the studio where Dave worked at the time. They contacted the folks that keep such records for an official run but it never came about.
Cary
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Cary I say we need to try to break this record at LALS. Spring Meet? We could try for a 1” scale record.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Cary Stewart wrote:A sort of related story from LALS in California.
A young David Rhorer and friends drove Dave's then new SR&RL No.5 for 37 hours non stop except for fuel, water, lube and crew changes at a Spring meet in the early 1980's. Oh, and the fuel was chunks or hard wood brought from the studio where Dave worked at the time. They contacted the folks that keep such records for an official run but it never came about.
Cary
When I read this article I thought of Dave's run. It was probably much more leisurely than this express train. :)
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Dave and crew were going for distance not speed as there were other trains on the track. I think this run happened before the East expansion was done or was it after the full expansion was completed in spring 1984?
Time and the little gray cells they will tell the tale unless like me some have faded to black.
Cary