Belpaire Boiler for a PRR G-5

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: Belpaire Boiler for a PRR G-5

Post by Marty_Knox »

Hi Tim - the through stays are 1/4" NPT Sch 80 seamless, SA106-B.
One thing I learned long ago - tack, then weld one end, leaving the other free to expand.
Unless of course, you want it to assume a gentle curve!
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Somewhere I remember hearing somebody say, "You get what you pay for".
What a beautiful product!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

It's almost a shame to eventually hide that thing under lagging and a sheet metal jacket. It really should go on a pedestal in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Thanks for the info Marty.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

We put the tubes in today.
Attachments
IMG_8917.JPG
IMG_8918.JPG
IMG_8923.JPG
IMG_8938.JPG
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Marty, That's a Milwaukee wrist breaker drill/driver with a brand new anti wrist breaker (unhanded) handle.

Beautiful, beautiful work!

BC
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here are links to the YouTube videos of rolling the tubes.
https://youtu.be/4HtbHUnFpb8
https://youtu.be/DW1pszsFcEk
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Marty,

On the photo from 12/8 showing the firebox tubesheet to crownsheet joint, about what size gap did you guys start with? Also, is it cheating to tack up and then gouge from the same side, finally going back to gouge out and finish weld the spots with tacks?

-John
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Marty:
I am currently laying out my 10 wheeler boiler ( I guess you know that), So I am soaking up as much information as I can. I see that you put quite a proud countersink for your stays. I assume for a full penetration. Is that necessary beyond a simple fillet? Is there an advantage that I don't see?
And, we all thank you so much for sharing your information here. It really helps us understand what is going on inside the boiler and firebox, what to expect and how to better (safely) take care of our investments.
Scotty
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That's a great question in regards to the stays. I'm hoping to reap a benefit from Marty's response, but I'd like to comment, in the hopes that I understand the purpose of the large countersink.

Going out on a limb, I'd suggest that the purpose is to ensure a 100% weld. Any area that is open would permit water to create corrosion, and getting full penetration without proper relief isn't easy. The large countersink allows for a weld through to the opposite side, resulting in the stays being a part of the body, with no seam to collect water. Now lets see what Marty has to say.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Harold_V wrote:That's a great question in regards to the stays. I'm hoping to reap a benefit from Marty's response, but I'd like to comment, in the hopes that I understand the purpose of the large countersink.

Going out on a limb, I'd suggest that the purpose is to ensure a 100% weld. Any area that is open would permit water to create corrosion, and getting full penetration without proper relief isn't easy. The large countersink allows for a weld through to the opposite side, resulting in the stays being a part of the body, with no seam to collect water. Now lets see what Marty has to say.

H
Exactly right, Harold.
Another reason is that you should not weld over the end of the stay. You leave enough of the end exposed so you can tell that it is, indeed, a stay - not just a glob of weld.
The large prep makes it easier to weld from the side.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Marty_Knox wrote:Another reason is that you should not weld over the end of the stay. You leave enough of the end exposed so you can tell that it is, indeed, a stay - not just a glob of weld.
Thanks, Marty. That thought didn't occur to me.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.