0-6-0 L9 Switcher, differences

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: 0-6-0 L9 Switcher, differences

Post by rkcarguy »

https://www.p-b-l.com/gallery/9-464.html
This K-27(model) is a beauty.
I could never model an NG inboard wheel steamer on my RR, it would look too out of place as the proper gage in my scale would only be 6".

Post by 0351 »

Good point with the driver’s being separated and concealed, it would make it easer to laser cut them.
The FP&V RR was an awesome accomplishment of what people dedicated to the hobby can achieve. Harlock did a great video on the story of the FP&V. Interestingly Peters dad built an 0-6-0.
https://youtu.be/UeS3DPr1Nsw

Tom millers K36, watch the sparks fly when he opens up the throttle!
https://youtu.be/L_k0MuNRaM8

LoL! This thread has came along way from a small 0-6-0 to the 2-8-2.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I won't be having the turn radii to suit a 2-8-2, even one with the drivers as tightly nested as they do on those NG locomotives, so I can only dream.
Something in their coal in NZ and other countries makes it burn like that, I forgot what it is it was discussed in another thread here.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

0351 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm watch the sparks fly when he opens up the throttle!
I wonder--is the engine fired with Char?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The beginning of the video shows him cleaning out the firebox and the stocking it from what looked like a big charcoal BBQ bag, maybe that's why?
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I've been looking and looking at images of different steam locomotives and there isn't a ton of stuff to choose from when you are working with tighter turn radiuses and want more than an 0-4-0. Pretty much leaves me with the varying X-6-X offerings, or another intriguing thought is to go with one of the many 2-6-6-2 "Mallet" configurations in "tank" form which would mean two sets of drivetrain but also avoids having a tender. There are many tank variances as well, simple box tanks on each side, saddle tank, half saddle tanks, etc.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

A real challenge would be to build a Garrett. There is a 0-2-0+0-2-0 Garrett under construction in Texas in 1.6" scale. The Garrett was doing its best on poorly built light rail with very sharp curves. One exception was the Dargeling Garrett was a not so hot solution for them. Almost all Garrets of he smaller sizes and some of the big ones were built to very tight requirements for axle loading. The ability to spread the weight over a longer distance made for more tractive effort with a smaller engine.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Oh my! If you were in France you would understand my description fine. However, for the rest of us that should be 0-4-0 + 0-4-0.
Vsty
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm really liking this mallet 2-6-6-2. Articulated, so in theory, should be happy with tighter curves. Tons of traction, and while the locomotive would be a beast to build itself there would be no tender needed with this particular "tank" mallet.
malletplow.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, For tight radius turns you could also consider a geared loco, such as the Heisler, or Shay. The trucks pivot like freight car trucks so have a much sharper turning radius, plus tremendous traction. Rated for 6% grades in real life. Something to think about. BTW, I like the Mallets a lot, also...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Having performed rebuilds on and extensively engineered a 2-6-6-2 Mallet (#11 U.S. Plywood on display at Snoqualmie, WA),
and the same on a 3-truck Heisler (#91 at Mt. Rainier Scenic RR), I would choose the Heisler to build and operate on your line.
We used to say about the Mallets: "Twice the work for the same amount of fun."
The Heisler provides a balanced high powered locomotive with more speed than any other geared locomotives.
Reasonably easy to access the engine, too. Can you tell I like Heislers?
And I don't want to talk about the Climax #10. Not my favorite.
Food for thought.
RussN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm not a fan of the appearance of the Heisler or the Climax, sorry lol.
Whatever I decide to build will be a ways off, but it never hurts to go over all the options and ultimately start hoarding away some steel for the build.
Having been a production machinist I don't see making multiples of the parts as adding all that much work provided I can foot the costs of the materials for them. IE, it would be almost as easy for me to simply produce basically two sets of 0-6-0 running gear and mount them on one giant boiler. I would probably do 4 of the same bore cylinders, just use larger outside diameter cylinders up front for looks.