Ohlenkamp injector

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

trivettj

Ohlenkamp injector

Post by trivettj »

I was wanting to see if anyone has any non working ohlenkamp injectors or just the body that they would sale ?please let me know if anyone has anything thanks.
trivettj

Re: Ohlenkamp injector

Post by trivettj »

The reason I want just the body is I have all of the parts to go in the body and would like to see if I can take the parts and get one that's not working and get it back working.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Be aware that Ohlenkamp injectors were hand fitted with the cones, etc. All were S/N'd and Emory kept a log book of which sets of cones went into each S/N. Barry Haige had the plastic box with dozens of sets of cones that Emory had made a spares. As good as Emory was he found that he had to match parts to get consistent performance out the injectors. Bottom line - even if you can find a body the internals that you have may not work well. Emory recognized that Barry was building injectors of very high quality and passed on all of the remaining parts to Barry he would not give the tooling to Barry. So Barry came up with his Economy Injector which is very much like Emory's.
Cary
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Barry may of gotten some parts from Emory but not all of them. I know of someone who has full jars of cones. You can interchange the parts from injector to injector with success. I have done it repeatedly. Emory made a precision part with NO CNC equipment.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Earl Mueller in Florida has replacement parts for the injectors. Got myself a spare set and replacement cup for Larry.

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
trivettj

Post by trivettj »

My locomotive has 2 ohlenkamp injectors on it now and I would not trade them for any other Injectors and I have several full sets of parts from Earl Muller I actually got the Injectors brand new from Earl and I have changed parts out in them without a problem if the internal parts get dirty I swap them out and use them until the run day is over and then clean the other parts for the next time. I am going to build another steam locomotive and I will need 2 Injectors for it so if I can't find anymore ohlenkamp injectors I will try one of the newly produced Injectors on it.
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Hi
Another good source for parts that I have used interchangeably in several non working injectors is Howard Gorin.

Bob
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Good luck getting them
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Mercer still working on an injector?
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes but it takes lots of R&D and right now I have 40 safety valves on back order and about 20 starter valves and about 20 check valves to make.
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

I have all the internal parts and everything else for the Ohlenkamp injector except finished injectors for sale.
When I started the injector project I made the cones first and tested them in an Ohlenkamp injector body.
When the cones I made worked, then I went for the tooling to make the injector bodies.
My cones work in Ohlenkamp injectors and my own injectors.
If Trainman4602 can develop the ability and skill that Emery Ohlenkamp had, then Trainman can produce a fine injector!
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Howard I do have the skill I have been working machinery for over 50 years. Emory and Barry were good machinist but they were not the only people that can make precision parts.

I will make a good working injector when I find the time to concentrate on it. Right now my obligation is to my customers filling orders.

BTW you have the ability and you have the machinery and you have all the parts including the body's So why don't you make them.