DRIVER PRINT ?????

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: DRIVER PRINT ?????

Post by Trainman4602 »

No both motors ran together same direction 385HP each total per axle 770HP X 6 axles 4620 total HP
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I should add to this I know someone will ask the question "how fast does it go"

They were built with two different gearing, not on the same locomotive. One for freight and one for passenger

Freight gearing 22/79 = 3.59 to 1 speed maximum 90 MPH

Passenger Gearing 24/77 = 3.20 to 1 speed maximum 110 MPH
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

This 1" scale GG-1 wheel pattern was made by Doug Mehring, NJLS, many years ago.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I get the idea of flexibility, but why the cups or hammers, as you call them? What do they add to the scheme?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes I advised Doug on how to go about making the wheel and retain the detail. This wheel is set in a core box and the match plate has several plain round blocks (core prints) that the core set in to form them By making it this way will avoid sand drops and keep a sharp detail
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Greg
The cups are allowed to move within the driver spokes while maintaining contact with the spoke regardless of wheel movement.

BTW the guy on face book banned me from posting on his site. I tried to explain that the print he is using is the print for the R1 not the GG1
so now he will continue to use the wrong wheel go figure.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Trainman4602 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:09 pm Greg
The cups are allowed to move within the driver spokes while maintaining contact with the spoke regardless of wheel movement.

BTW the guy on face book banned me from posting on his site. I tried to explain that the print he is using is the print for the R1 not the GG1
so now he will continue to use the wrong wheel go figure.
Thanks, Dave. By moving, do you mean lateral movement rather than radial, as in the movement needed when negotiating curves? Sorry for being so dense about this.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Trainman4602 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm Freight gearing 22/79 = 3.59 to 1 speed maximum 90 MPH

Passenger Gearing 24/77 = 3.20 to 1 speed maximum 110 MPH
An interesting feature that I have also observed on other geared locomotives, is to use gears with a number of teeth that is a prime number (77 or 79). Apparently this was intentional, in order to equalize the wear on gear teeth. Since the teeth on the mating gear would end up meshing with the same tooth on a non-repetitive basis, the wear would be evened out on both gears.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

When I started this post I had intensions on making just the wheel pattern and castings. Then I though I would make a mock up of the drive with the motors and gearing. In todays market the gears would be cost prohibitive. so I planed on using a number 25 chain. Now after reading about the quill drive and all the questions arising from the post regarding this type drive I figuring on making a true quill drive with working cups and all to show the flexibility of the drive. This would be a heck of a lot more work but would be interesting to make. All though my interested is mostly in steam locomotives I have always felt that the GG1 was interesting with all the spring rigging similar to steam loco.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Dave, you gave good advice and Doug did a beautiful job executing it, the pattern/core box works exactly how you described it. Doug was surprised to see his project resurface after so many years, although he wasn't too impressed with my body work. I'd be interested in seeing a GG-1 done by a pro, I've been at mine for about 8 years and I bet you'll be finished before me. What scale are you considering?
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Well I would rather build to 1.6 or in between 1.5 and 1.6 but my K4 is 1.5 so to match it that's would I'll build to 1.5. By the way to do it right it would take some fancy doing the GG1 is a lot more complicated than it looks. I have not seen any GG1 in the larger scales that was correct.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

They're much more complicated than they look, and unique in many ways, as per your discussion of the wheels. Reference points are also very difficult to establish and maintain throughout the build. The compound curves of the body, the shape and placement of the various features, doors, windows etc... Immediately catch your eye if they're the slightest bit off. I haven't seen one yet, in any scale, that's correct. Even my O gauge Lionel isn't right. 1-1/2" scale will be a big engine, but you have the skill sets to get it done, and it'll make for some interesting videos along the way. John