Steel Prices

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fender

Steel Prices

Post by Fender »

I’m having a tender tank made at a local sheet metal shop. I dropped off the drawings this Tuesday, and they couldn’t give me a quote, because their suppliers were in the middle of a significant price increase. Guess I was a week or two late getting the drawings to them. 😟
I wonder how much this will affect the price of other things in our hobby, such as boilers, etc?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
John Hasler

Re: Steel Prices

Post by John Hasler »

> ...their suppliers were in the middle of a significant price increase.

Of course. That's what the steel import tariffs are for.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Fender wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am I’m having a tender tank made at a local sheet metal shop. I dropped off the drawings this Tuesday, and they couldn’t give me a quote, because their suppliers were in the middle of a significant price increase.
I just spoke with my major supplier. He says this isn't a rumor, it is happening as we speak. The price he quotes me today may not be good tomorrow, and will definitely be more on Monday.
As for the effect on pricing, it shouldn't be that great. Materials are only 15 - 20% of the price of fabricated metal products. The biggest cost of my boilers is the labor.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nothing new.
About 10 years ago, steel prices went nuts, and availability was horrible. Lot of mines in Northern Nevada, and they use a lot of steel. I know some local fab shops that were actually selling back some of their inventory, for a profit, to the local (state) steel suppliers, so they could fulfill orders.
Same thing went on with tires for heavy equipment. I was scrounging around, worldwide, to make sure we didn't run out of tires.

So....get ready....here we go again. The cycle of life.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John_S

Post by John_S »

FYI, I work for Ryerson and I am intimately familiar with what's happening. Yes, there are increases happening and it's a day-to-day thing at the moment. Steel is far less affected than aluminum and the increases are much less, comparably.

We're swamped at the moment due to a somewhat artificial demand created by anticipation -- think of it like when the news says, "GAS SHORTAGE" and people go out and fill up every vehicle they own, plus every gas can, garbage can, etc., with all the gas they can get.

It WILL settle down and return to normal. Best thing to do is wait it out if you can for now. Unless you need material ASAP, try to put off those projects for a couple months and wait until this all calms down.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Being in the rail industry, we have been seeing the increases taking effect over the past two to three weeks now. They are saying that this could continue until the end of the year. When you are bidding on bonded jobs, one has to make it abundantly clear to your suppliers that they're must hold their prices as long as you have to with the owner and not come back with yet another increase once you've been awarded the project.

However, I just requested pricing this week for about 400' of 1" round bar for staybolts for the Reading T-1 No. 2100 and was pleasantly surprised at the prices I got. Not sure if these increases are taking effect the same everywhere. We will likely be ordering our staybolt stock ASAP just in case.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully it will continue to mean increased orders and job opportunities here in the US.

Rob Gardner
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Well, I just ordered some 1/4" seamless pipe.
Last year I paid $3.17 a foot for 1/4" Schedule 80.
Yesterday the cost was $4.45 a foot for Schedule 40!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Geez how big is the hole in 1/4” schedule 80??

:shock:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

makinsmoke wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:22 pm Geez how big is the hole in 1/4” schedule 80??

:shock:
Still larger than ¼" (.302"). Theoretical OD is .540", with a .119" wall thickness.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Pricing is still very strange, some material has gone up considerably while others isn't much more than it has been for awhile. Quoted some flat bar for example, and it went from its November price of $0.498/# to $0.529/#. In the meantime, some plate and tube on the same quote had gone from $0.496 to $0.675/#.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

This is not totally limited to steel.

I am putting together the copper necessary to build a boiler for my current 1" project -> and it looks like the copper alone is going to cost me a ball park of $1000
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Aluminum has had the most significant increase in cost over the last two months. Carbon bar products (HR bar, 1018, 1045, etc.) have been minimal but rising. Carbon sheet and plate is up over 10cent/lb since February and supply is becoming limited.

If you're looking for 516-70 for boilers, you'd better get it now as the mills are way, WAY out on production.

A36 plate supply is OK but starting to thin out across the country. The good news is there are several mills that were dormant that are coming back online this year so supply will begin to increase in the 3rd quarter.