RANT THREAD?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: RANT THREAD?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Another thing...why do small parts always roll UNDER things and never AWAY from them?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

cbrew wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 am Since we are on the rant topics, It really gets old about people bitching about what others decide to burn on their steam locomotives. I have even been told i don't have a real steam locomotive because i picked to burn Dino farts. who gives a crap, if it boils water. lets play...
True, but you can't speak for others. My interest in model locomotives relates to steam, and that interest relates to coil firing. My desires would not be satisfied by other fuels, as my objective isn't to "play trains", but to enjoy a coal steam experience. There is no right or wrong, just personal choices, and I won't have mine taken from me.

This subject is much like the discussion of music. Some folks like country. Some folks like classical. Some folks like jazz.

For the most part, I detest country. (There are exceptions----but as I like to say, these matters are highly personal).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm Another thing...why do small parts always roll UNDER things and never AWAY from them?
And if you attempt to catch them as they fall they end up over then under and will always require hands and knees to find. There are many, many items in the swarf tray of my lathe that were deemed 'gone' and a duplicate made as a matter of 'less challenging' to just make another. It's always a reward to clean out the lathe chip tray once in a while - if you can remember what those parts were for.

Harold, You must be a RAP music fan. Detesting country music may be an indication that you don't like music at all. But then, you really didn't mean that.

BC
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

So what about polka? Or yodeling?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

DianneB wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:24 am And another one: You have just finished that PERFECT paint job, the one you have spent hours on to get just the right finish. You clean up the painting equipment and put it away. When you return to your work to admire that perfect finish, there is a bug stuck right in the middle of the fresh paint! :D
Dianne, why did you have to post that? I'm out there this morning spraying the second, and hopefully last, coat on my new riding car. Finishing up, I stand back to admire my work. And there it is.

Maintaining my usual standards, the first coat was entirely unsatisfactory. Too much thinner and the wrong lighting so I couldn't see what I was doing. Unfortunately, the second coat is now about 95 percent good with a few small bare spots in the inside corners. It's frustrating to have something come out that well, so I'm thinking of putting on a third coat in order to completely screw it up.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

And furthermore:

Had to buy three yards of vinyl for the seat on the new center-bench riding car. It's wide stuff so, needing to cover only the 9 1/2-inch wide center bench, I had lots left over; more than half. Enough for another car plus. So as I'm rolling up that extra, there was a large oak block on the sawhorse that fell to the floor onto the yardage, poking a hole e-x-a-c-t-l-y in the center of the material. So now I've got a 9-foot by 3-foot piece of brand new vinyl with a nice hole right smack in the middle of it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I can share most of the aggravating and frustrating moments of the members, but one that frustrates me is not being able to find the most noxious cuss word to use to satisfy my rant. It just increases my frustration and raises my blood pressure. I recall John Cleese on the TV show, "Faulty Towers" and how he would express his frustration by jumping up and down while squatting. I retired at 55, but had to go back to work for 20 more years due to financial concerns, like eating.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am ... but one that frustrates me is not being able to find the most noxious cuss word to use to satisfy my rant.
Obviously, you weren't in the Navy.
Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am ...
I retired at 55, but had to go back to work for 20 more years due to financial concerns, like eating.
It's a matter of priorities, Ron.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Instructions say "10 8mm screws." Package contains 9. Factory is in China.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm Instructions say "10 8mm screws." Package contains 9. Factory is in China.
Are you sure they aren't actually 7mm screws?
~RN
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am
Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am ... but one that frustrates me is not being able to find the most noxious cuss word to use to satisfy my rant.
Obviously, you weren't in the Navy.
Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am ...
I retired at 55, but had to go back to work for 20 more years due to financial concerns, like eating.
It's a matter of priorities, Ron.
Ah, but I WAS in the navy, and still are looking at having to go back to work (after retiring at 39 !) to afford 2 kids...them rugrats will eat you out of house, home, barn, woodlot, lawn...

(at least mine haven't yet discovered "borrowing" dad's tools yet !... Dad had to install a metal detector to prevent me leaving with the workshop one piece at a time !)

James
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am....but one that frustrates me is not being able to find the most noxious cuss word to use to satisfy my rant.
Fortunately I can cuss in three languages - English, French, and Seneca .... oops, make that FOUR languages - forgot Ojibwa :shock: Seneca came in handy in school because the teachers had no idea what I was saying ROFL!