RANT THREAD?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: RANT THREAD?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Yes, but maybe in fuchsia.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

So that's how I became "hard boiled"!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I do wonder what's happening with the forum. Maybe the topics aren't attractive to the Justin Bieber generation. Or maybe people are getting drawn off into hipstery, relatively useless hobbies like knife forging. You grow your beard, put on a plaid shirt, buy a forge, learn to stamp Viking runes in leaf springs, and spend 50 hours making a great-looking knife that can't compete with a $25 job from Bass Pro!

Or are we just losing out to 3D printers?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I avoided this thread for a while but my curiosity finally got the best of me. I got a few really good chuckles, and said to myself "I've done that man" a few times. Now I'm not going to divulge any rants of my own, but will confess to being a tool thrower. At my last real job my helper used to say "lookout he's a tool thrower!". And as I have gotten older my use of Navy language has increased, I mean REALLY increased. I think its sometimes better to just blow off some steam, ahh I feel better now. :P
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm Hello My Friends
I avoided this thread for a while but my curiosity finally got the best of me. I got a few really good chuckles, and said to myself "I've done that man" a few times. Now I'm not going to divulge any rants of my own, but will confess to being a tool thrower. At my last real job my helper used to say "lookout he's a tool thrower!". And as I have gotten older my use of Navy language has increased, I mean REALLY increased. I think its sometimes better to just blow off some steam, ahh I feel better now. :P
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
The mild-mannered, always smiling Jack Bodenmann cussing and throwing tools? Oh my. :roll:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Loosing a tool. My organizational skills are sometimes lacking and it happens often. If a tool only cost a few dollars, and it will take more time to search for it than to go to the store, I'm prone to buy a new one.

Something I haven't been able to decide, though. Does having two copies of a tool make it twice as likely you will find it when you need it? Or does it mean you have twice the chance of misplacing them?
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I've found that the best way to find a lost tool is to go buy another one or yell 'thief'!
Fender

Post by Fender »

My father told me a story about when he was visiting with his girlfriend when he was in high school. Her father was working on his model A inside his garage, and they were sitting outside on the porch. Now, the garage was sheathed on the outside with just a single layer of asbestos siding, which was only about 1/4” thick. At some point, the wrench slipped, knuckles were scraped, and a barrage of heavy-duty navy words were screamed, all this being punctuated by the wrench being flung through the garage siding from the inside, and landing in the front yard! My father and his daughter stared at each other in amazement!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Rick

Post by Rick »

My cousin use to be a thrower and or hit what he was working on with whatever tool was in hand. Most of this was done working on dirt bikes in the late 70's early 80's. He bought a KTM 250 Enduro and learned how expensive parts were (after he broke a couple of them) so he took this approach which saved him money and time but still was able to vent is anger.
When you walked into his basement,where he worked on his bike, you found this old beat to crap metal garbage can with a rubber hammer tied to its handle by a 3 foot piece of cord. He would beat the crap out of the garbage can from the outside and then turn his anger to the inside of the can to "keep it usable". Method worked well for him there were no more hammer or tool marks on the bike.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
John_S

Post by John_S »

cbrew wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am
ccvstmr wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 am 6) figure out a way to quickly load or unload your equipment when visiting other tracks. This is a sure way to kill an experience when you're stuck behind someone taking his time to get on/off a railroad. If nothing else, load the equipment, secure it so you can move out of the way to finish tying everything down. Looking for ideas? See what other people have done. Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

7) for steam locomotives...make sure your feed water hardware (injectors, steam pumps), safety valves, whistles and brakes are in working order BEFORE leaving the steaming bay area. It'll be easier to resolve issues in the bays than on the mainline.
these two are big for me also.
I have been chasing the best transport methods for a while, this is the latest one. it copies what i did in the cargo trailer by allowing to load the truck so i can tow the travel trailer.
I just finished applying color last night. i will be loading it for the first time this weekend.
Loco and tender on the lower center. the other six spots get a passenger car each
MVIMG_20180514_163557.jpg
IMG_20180512_170948.jpg
I built a similar steel rack for my truck. Loco in the center, flanked by the tender and a boxcar. I can get all three into the truck and coupled to the rack in less than five minutes and move out of the loading/unloading area -- THEN tie everything down for transport.

The "obliviots" that spend more time chatting it up while loading/unloading than actually loading/unloading are like those people closer to the front of the airplane that seem to take ages to get their carry-on out of the overhead holding everyone else up from getting the heck off and on with their lives.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

John, here is the rack the day before i left for TM to crash "attend" the narrow gauge meet.
loading and unloading at TM was as fast as i was able to move the transfer table.
load.jpg
load1.jpg
load2.jpg
load3.jpg
needless to say, the trip went uneventful. other then the fact i believe i have a boost leak on the old truck, pulling this over the summit was a challenge went only able to hit 13 psi on the gauge :)

next trip will add another car plus generator etc. but will not have the trailer as it is already down there.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
John_S

Post by John_S »

cbrew, I built the rack for the exact same reason: So I can pull the camper and have the loco, tender, and boxcar. My boxcar houses the air compressor and resevoire for my train brakes as well as the 12v battery for lights, plus tools and parts that I may need if things go Tango Uniform out on the track.