Baking Tanks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Baking Tanks

Post by Builder01 »

I used 2-56 stainless hex head bolts and washers for the tank tops, it's not scale, but, I like the looks of them. All of the fasteners on the sides are flat head. I added baffles for the insides as well. The baffles also help to keep the sides straight when the tank tops are removed. Yes, the RTV must be used on the screws as well, so, just a little squeezes out of the threaded hole in the brass angle. If your screws are countersunk well, there is no filing to be done. They should be pretty well flush with the outside of the tank plate.

David
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Builder01 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:35 pmI used 2-56 stainless hex head bolts and washers for the tank tops,
David,
That's about what I had in mind. It wouldn't take very many to keep the tops down.
The Tich? - Keith
Yes Keith, that's it.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I soft soldered the saddle tank on my Hunslet. I riveted it together and used the acid flux and propane torch. Worked fine but I did have some leaks.I filled those with wickable Loctite.
Attachments
water tank.JPG
water tank3.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Hi Fred,
Nice work . . . I've never used Clecos. Not because I might not have had a need from time to time . . but because I've never owned any and have no experience with them. I could see where they could be as useful on a screwed-together job as a riveted one.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Yeah, Clecos are really great. I've used them often.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Glad to see that you are back to working on the Tich project! So, it will be ready to run about... September?? It really is looking great, can't wait to see it at the track. A shame to have to cover up such beautiful work with paint.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

A couple of answers . . . .
I initially posed myself several questions on Tank Baking and several are still unanswered, but two questions have been answered . . . a quickie test assembly was "baked" last night and came out very well so . .
FWIW, a conventional residential electric oven with a "bake" temperature setting of 500°F will definitely do soft solder assemblies.
Secondly, solder paste worked very well and would be the way to go, at least for the first round.

What did not come out as I expected on the test I put down to solder starvation . . . caused by over-thinning my old-stock 50/50 solder paste to soften it up. This actually bodes well for any smaller lighter gauge work I might do, but for what I have, fresh solder paste with maybe a splash of silver content should solve the problem. There are a few places where I'll want a nice fillet.
More, when there's more to report.
Attachments
TESTPC.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Can you put a pizza in at the same time?

Keith
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Keith,
I don't see why not.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN