3-1/2" OS Porter Live steam need help

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Re: 3-1/2" OS Porter Live steam need help

Post by LVRR2095 »

I would very strongly suggest that for the first few times you steam the locomotive, to do it at a club with the help of experienced people.
As to lubricants I use the Mobil 600W steam cylinder oil in the cylinders.On the motion work, valve gear and rods, I use 10W Spindle Oil. 3 - 1/2” gauge locomotives have tiny little bearings on the valve gear parts and you want a lighter oil to ensure that it gets to everywhere where it is needed. A lot of the advice to use heavier oils is coming from folks who normally operate larger scale equipment where the heavier oils are appropriate. Basicallly you use different oils on a watch than you would on a tower clock!

Keith Taylor...
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

FWIW . . . the ISO60 hydraulic oil works just fine on Gauge 1 (3/8"/10mm scale) locomotives, although it's probably in the upper half of the viscosity range for that gauge.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
GregE

Post by GregE »

Hi Mat,
Welcome to live steaming- your OS should be a lot fun!
I'm the high-line track superintendent at the St. Croix Railroad, and have built and enjoy running a 3-1/2" gauge 0-4-0.
We certainly welcome you to get in touch and come out to visit the club.
Some members are out working on various projects around the railroad this week and next as part of a 'project-camp'.
http://www.stcroixrr.org/SCRR_Summer2018.html
Also the email noted above- info@stcroixrr.org is good to make sure folks will be around when you come. With some notice we can arrange for the club boiler tester to test your boiler- which would be necessary before running it at the railroad.
Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help with as you get to know your new loco!

Greg Easter
Greg Easter
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Wayne Davis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm There are good videos on You Tube. Here are a couple from the steam channel. They are a different scale but the principles are the same.

Wayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbmXcp_5Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfpJUOjGNx8
Thank you Wayne, very impressive presentations.
Thank you
Mat from Land of 10000 Lakes (MN)
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Being sad, is that locomotive manufactured 40 years back then?

thank you
Mat from Minnesota
Thank you
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

My apologies, Friday does not seem like Friday, too much work. Here is where I stand so far based on the help, communications, from members of this forum. I got emails from St.Croix club President Tim and SP Greg Easter. My plan is to go join them as part of their club. I am planning to take my loco hence then can suggest what needs to be done. I got a pretty good idea about steam and machine oil and S.C.R.R team is going to help me on that as well when I head there.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL THE TREASURES WHO TRIED AND TRYING TO HELP ME. YOU GUYS ARE TREASURES MAN. Just within 1 day I feel so proud about you all being a part of the RR family, This hobby is great.

Just a little about myself, " Veteran collector of old time Marx, lionel, then jumped into brass gauge 1, now want to try large ones live steam ones. I do own very few gauge 1 live steams, but never attempted to fire it up. The only think I had fun so far with my Marklin modern Live steam engine, 16051, a real beauty and monster, want to hook up my Marklin carousel to it some Christmas." I am biker as well.

Thank you all for you helping tendency, kindness, for new members like me.
Thank you
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

March 1982 live Steam magazine had an article by Bill Fitt about assembling an OS Porter Mogul from a kit.
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Marty, thank you, You nailed at the right time, I saw one on ebay last night and I got it. Thank you again.
Thank you
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Take care of that little loco since I do not believe that parts are currently available from OS USA.

They may still be available direct from Japan.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

mat_steamer:
Your OS Porter Manual is in the mail.
~RussN
mat_steamer

Post by mat_steamer »

Thanks for the tip Bill. Is there an OS USA, I do not see they are in United other than UK and Austrailia, I may be wrong?

Thank you Russ for helping me out on the manual. Really appreciate it.

SCRR, Apologies, other things came last weekend, I was fried like a KFC doing some landscaping work, I will contact you guys before I head up there, Hence I enjoy visiting you guys, get some basic exposure, learning... and go from there.
Thank you
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Related:
So, does coal smoke keep mosquitos away?
~RN