THE PARTS ARE STARTING TO ACCUMULATE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

THE PARTS ARE STARTING TO ACCUMULATE

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi All

I have been working every day to get all the Hancock Check valves finished. There are quite a few parts to them. I can’t assembly any until I have all the pieces ready and sorted in containers. This is because I offer 4 different styles of valves. I assembly them and test them as I need to fill the various orders.

I made 35 bodies but I only have 30 now. This is because I discovered some with porosity. This is not evident in the not
machined casting.

I currently have another 40 bodies in wax and the rest of the castings. Soon I will be casting again.
Attachments
20180909_145902.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Re: THE PARTS ARE STARTING TO ACCUMULATE

Post by NP317 »

I hope you are feeling a sense of accomplishment.
Well deserved.
~RN
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes it is gratifying to make parts by manual machining No CNC needed here. I can make them just as accurate on the Hardinge Chucker. The first time I visited Barry Hague at Super Scale he had no CNC just a Hardinge chucker the same machine that I have. Mine ,like Barry's, has the automatic threading attachment. It cuts an accurate thread each and every time over 100reds of parts.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've had the pleasure of using a Hardinge Chucker lathe! Truly a wonderful machine for accurate production of small parts.
That same Shop also had 3 other Hardinge lathes, and two small Hardinge Horizontal/Vertical mills, all of which I got to use.
I got spoiled with those. 'Glad you've got one!
~RN
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I have had it for several years I replaced a CNC lathe that I could not get running so I went back to the good ole manual machine. I just turned out 40 small pieces today that part is the square nut on the end of the stem. It took me about 3 hours setting and running. My machine is 40+ years old and is still accurate to .0005 and repeats the same on each part. What more do you need.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I once used Hardinge lathe at work and hated it!

This is because it was wonderful, of course, but all I had at home was my 10" Craftsman/Atlas Flexi lathe!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Kimball McGinley wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 pm I once used Hardinge lathe at work and hated it!

This is because it was wonderful, of course, but all I had at home was my 10" Craftsman/Atlas Flexi lathe!
Ah, the Flexible Flyer. I can chuck up a rod, put a DTI on it and push on the headstock with one hand and watch the DTI move. And this is one that's mounted on 1/2-inch plate.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pmAh, the Flexible Flyer. I can chuck up a rod, put a DTI on it and push on the headstock with one hand and watch the DTI move. And this is one that's mounted on 1/2-inch plate.
Same nickname I have given mine.

I have actually watched the toolpost move as the bed flexed - no DTI needed!

Shopping for a Heavy 10, 11" Logan or 11" Sheldon.

Steve