Kirkwall Central

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

backyardrails

Re: Kirkwall Central

Post by backyardrails »

It looks great Steve. Can't wait to see more photos.
Bernie
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Put the kettle on, we'll be right over. Well done chum, well done.

Does WLS know you stole their switchman's shanty?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Golden Spike ?
steamer
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Weather report for hell. Very hot for the rest of this year and the beginning of next. Possibility of snow with ice pellets by early next October.
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

Congratulations on your thoughtful layout, clever mechanical design, and neat workmanship!

B&OBob
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Looking good chum, Great job!

Paul
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Thank you for all the kind support. Here is a little tale about getting ties for this line. In March, I went to the local saw mill and asked about ties. I showed them a sample of what I was looking for and that I needed enough material to make 3600 of these things. They said no problem but it would take a few weeks. OK, since I am still working on the steel work, that would be no problem.
Around the middle of AUGUST, I thought I should check in. Oh we have some cut but not all. Come back in two weeks. Two weeks later, there was no material cut but they would get on it after they finished cutting firewood for the local parks. I said "I will call YOU" and left.
Next I found another sawmill that was close and their website said they do big and small custom work. Great, I will pop in and give them my order. Driving up their long driveway I noticed a nice wood caboose but there seemed to be a lack of any large looking buildings. I met a guy coming out and asked about the mill. "Why that mill burned down five years ago". They need to update their website.
Next I tried a place where my dad used to buy wood for making fiddles. This is the stuff you want. "How does it cut.?" I asked. "Oh, this is like steel. You can't cut this stuff easily at all". Not what I am looking for. After some discussion on prices of wood and availability, he said he would get me a price on cedar and call me. Two weeks later, no call.
Finally I decided to try a mill that is right behind the railway shop where I work. I was told they only serve large customers or contractors. In I go and yes, they sell to the general public. After some discussion about what I am doing and what I might need, the salesman recommended I take a hickory board to cut and see if it will work out. I go over to the mill and the guy there says he has a bundle of 8' long white oak material that was returned. The thickness was already planed to the right size but I just need the boards split to width. No problem. Material is now at home being cut into 9" ties and grooved for three rails. The rails will be mill edged mild steel and press right in to the grooves.
And now you know........... the rest of the story. Good day!
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

This story to all to common today. well you are on the right track ( I think ) now.
steamer
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Steve, Your RR progress was the subject of much talk/admiration at Jack B's this past weekend. It's really great to see two new highlines under construction. There really is a resurgence of interest in the portable size locomotives. Are you going to build track panels and attach them to the supports or build as-you-go (as Jack is doing)?
Andy
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Yes, the plan is to run a 20' length using the common Rail and ties to eye the straights and curves. Every fifth tie will be the ones cut with the slot giving a little tighter grip on the rails and this one will be used to tie the track to the bridge. Once the main is set, the 3/4 and 1" rails will be pressed in with the joints staggered as usual. With the bridge and the rails being of the same material, I hope they expand and contract together.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Dad will probably visit- with MY loco !

Who knows when I will next be in Southern Ontario, though I'd love to come visit.

I'm assuming 4 3/4" rather than 5" ?

(his loco's are 5", or 3 1/2")

James
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

On August 2,2019, a milestone was reached on the Kirkwall Central. The three rails on the main were joined to form a loop on the main. While no large crowds gathered for the event, the local K9 crew was there to witness the occasion. Much still needs to be done to make the track "useable" but we now have a light at the end of the tunnel. Late fall of 2020 is the target date for completion.
Attachments
The excitement is too much for some as the final rail is tapped into place on the main of the Kirkwall Central
The excitement is too much for some as the final rail is tapped into place on the main of the Kirkwall Central