Help With Painting Using Mask

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pipescs

Help With Painting Using Mask

Post by Pipescs »

Good Morning All,

My new project is at the point of painting.

I am looking for help with painting boxcar sides that are planked with boards having routed edges
DSC_5281.jpg
The car is a 1.5 inch standoff scale, 26 foot boxcar to pull behind a LE American. This to go with a bobber caboose of the same construction.
DSC_5284.jpg
The car is a plywood body planked using 1/2" wide pine. Each plank has a bevel on each side.
IMG_3294.jpg
I have ordered mask for them both from Connie at Miracle Graphics. Having used them on smooth surfaces I gave no thought as to how to use them on uneven surfaces. These were the proofs
IMG_3354.jpg
Do I force it into the bevels? or just airbrush or stipple it dry with a brush?

Any advise, from those who have done it, greatly appreciated.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
pat1027

Re: Help With Painting Using Mask

Post by pat1027 »

You can the mask over the grooves without forcing it in. Use an airbrush angled so the paint carries over the gap between the boards (not into it). Go easy with the air brush. Ray Grosser (excellent modeler) letters cars this way and they look sharp. I ran into a similar problem lettering my tender where the edged of the mask came across rivets. I couldn't get the mask to stay tight around the rivets. It came out nice.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks. The mask are coming in tomorrow. I ordered two sets in case I screw one up
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

One thing you can do is after the mask is applied, seal the edges by applying the background color again, and then after that has dried apply the desired foreground color. Personally I like stippling with a stenciling brush, I feel like that helps minimize bleeding by applying the minimum amount of paint.
John Brock
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I had forgotten the trick of sealing it with the base color. I am leaning toward the dry brush stippling method also. The plan is to do the numbers first
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

One trick to get the paint mask over uneven surfaces is to take a hair dryer and heat up the vinyl and push it down to conform over the uneven surface.
-Kevin S.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I did the stipple method on my bobber caboose. Just a brush with cut down bristles. Don't expect full coverage on the 1st coat (or more so, don't try to get full coverage). Let the first coat dry and then do another. Once you get a solid color you can go in for the details that may cross kerf boundaries in the wood sides. After the mask is removed you can get in closer with a small size brush for details.

Brian (makinsmoke) had a post awhile back detailing the process: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=90539&hilit=paint+mask&start=12

Ken-

caboose_sm.jpg
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I followed the same process. I used a small stiff brush for the stippling and a small brush to touch it up.

I had Connie do me two sets of mask, figuring it would be better to have a set in case I did not like how it turned out. This ran $68.00 total

The stippling process seems to be the way to go.

As it is a stand-off scale of a make believe car, I have not went too crazy on it.

DSC_5293.jpg

The Dry Creek & Western being a small backwoods line using older second had equipment, nothing is allowed to look shiney and new.

DSC_5296.jpg

Still a long way to go. I need to finish the walkways, brake wheels, end doors, ladder rungs and then weathering.

The brake system and whistle is finished and works good on the bench. I hope to get it out to the track this next week for a rolling test with the engine. At 20 psi it has drag, at thirty it locks the wheels.

DSC_5300.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice looking car, Charlie. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.