Trailer w. trains stolen in Texas Saturday

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rrnut-2

Re: Trailer w. trains stolen in Texas Saturday

Post by rrnut-2 »

That's great news!
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi,

thats awesome,i've felt with him even there are thousands of miles between us.

Kind Regards
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

southwestern737 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 pm JT’s trailer and equipment have been found safe. Don’t know any details just got the email. He did have LoJack or similar on his trailer.
If you become privy to more information, please post accordingly, especially if the thief was identified.
I've experienced being burglarized. I have no mercy for the low-lifes who live off the misery of others.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

For what it is worth, I have a 24 foot SeaRay motor boat that sits on a trailer most of the year. I have hardened chains and hardened padlocks through the frame and the wheel in two places.
I try to make them tight enough so they cannot be defeated by a lugwrench; I once 3-wheeled a 2 axle trailer with 3 Jet Skis hundreds of mile with no problem.
I put them on the left on one axle, and the right on the other axle. My logic was twofold; 1) if they defeated the first lock, the second would probably surprise and discourage them. 2) If they were on one axle, a determined thief might be able to drag it along until the wheels/tires went flat or wore down, but alternate sides/axles might be more difficult to manage.
I had a commercial coupler lock; it was easily defeated by the storage yard (at my permission) when they needed to move the boat. That is when I bought the chains instead.
My 2 cents.
Fender

Post by Fender »

One trick is to take the wheel(s) off on one side. Or, just take the lug nuts off on one side.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

In the end, a ramp truck is very effective at pulling a trailer onto the bed, wheels or no wheels, locks or no locks.

Jim B
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Most thieves aren't going to have a roll-back truck to go stealing trailers with, or a service truck with a ton of tools, air compressors, jacks and such on it. You are not going to stop someone like that who is determined and has knowledge about what they are doing. The best you can hope for is to make your trailer a not-so-tempting target by putting up obstacles so that it can't be stolen easily. Most thieves are opportunistic, and are looking for a quick and easy score. They aren't going to take 20 minutes to put your tires back on, or grind through your security cables. They want to be able to bolt cut your lock, drop it on the ball of their truck, and roll away quickly. Most of the stuff I've ever had stolen was something that was laying around and that the thief could easily grab and walk or drive off with.
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Fender wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm One trick is to take the wheel(s) off on one side. Or, just take the lug nuts off on one side.
I’d be afraid to drive off without re-tightening the lug nuts! I know I would do that as I forgot to reconnect the RV trailer connection a couple of times after overnight stops. Installed a relay that only connects the RV batteries when the truck is running, so now I can leave the trailer umbilical connected when stopping overnight. (I know, a diode arrangement would prevent that problem, too, but with todays high output alternators the diode circuit is quite expensive compared to a relay.)

I have also used a fairly expensive trailer lock for both my RV and my utility trailer. I hadn’t used the utility trailer for two years and when I went to use it the lock was stuck. Took me quite a while with WD40 to loosen the lock mechanism so it would turn enough to unlock. Lesson there is to operate the lock every few months and keep it lubricated.

I like Jim B’s suggested GPS tracker and will buy one for my new cargo trailer when spring comes.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Another solution would be to paint the side: "Dante Mobile Embalming Service" or perhaps "Dairy Carcass Removal & Rendering."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:15 pm "Dairy Carcass Removal & Rendering."
I like it! But perhaps it should be a magnetic/removable sign for your neighbor’s sensibilities ;-)
When I am travelling with my trailer and (for example) parking overnight at a motel, I try to back the trailer solidly against a curb and then set the parking brake on the truck. This deters someone from just uncoupling the hitch and rolling the trailer back.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

It's good to hear that everything was recovered, that's not the usual way these things turn out.
I always thought putting some horse decals on the trailer would do the trick, come get your nice horse poopy trailer. That said, the mobile butchers are a real thing, my uncle has a couple he works with that come "do" his pigs twice a year. :)
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

I have these things called Trakr they are about the size of quarter they will tell you within 50' of where it is . I use them on my dogs that tend to roam just turn it on and program to your cell phone , if you have a trailer with an aluminum roof just put it on the roof and tape it down with silver duct tape, almost invisible. When I bought mine they were 8 for $100.00.