Pre heating boiler water

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Pre heating boiler water

Post by Builder01 »

I always notch up, especially going down grade or on the flat. Full gear is for starting or going up grade. When initially timing my valve gear, it was easy to see what notching up does. I am surprised more folks don't do it.

David
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've had engineers running at Train Mountain ask me how My Allen Ten Wheeler can take its train (3 Cars + 3 passengers) all the way up the north track and it's multi-mile grade, and back down again while using just 1/2 a tender full of water. Cutoff adjustment is my answer. Running with the J-bar adjusted back just half way to mid gear cuts the water use significantly! And a side-benefit is I never run out of steam. The engine isn't using that much, even working hard.

So I also preach the benefits of using the valve-gear cut-off adjustment when running our 1/8 scale steam locomotives.
~RN
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I have seen a large 15 inch gauge steamer that was being operated at a 3 day meet. Each evening, the owner placed a custom made thick reflective insulated jacket over the boiler from the back of the stack to the front of the cab. Looked like a big silver blanket when installed. He claimed it kept the boiler much warmer than if it left it to sit in the cool night air. The next morning, he was the first one to have steam up to operating pressure.