Painting the K-4 Boiler Jacket

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ebtfan

Painting the K-4 Boiler Jacket

Post by ebtfan »

I have recently completed painting the detailed boiler jacket on my K-4. After installing the pieces of .025 jacket I removed and reinstalled them after painting the backside of each piece. I used Spray Max 2 part epoxy primer available in a spray can. The hardener is released with a button on the bottom of the can. The one problem I had was with sanding. After applying the primer I found it very difficult to sand around the screws holding the jacket so I ended up removing sections of screws, sanding that area, then replacing the screws. The final coat is Scale coat PRR Brunswick Green. This paint looks black but when viewed in daylight it shows the green tint. The final coat was shot with an Eastwood detail spray gun. I am planning to apply another coat of the Brunswick Green once all of the cab, detailed parts, and appliances are attached.
Attachments
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG
JBodenmann

Re: Painting the K-4 Boiler Jacket

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Your K4s is looking very good. Small details are important, like removing the screws for sanding. It's most apparent that you realize this. As I have said before, bad finish work can diminish a fine model, and good finish work can improve one.
Jack