Interesting discussion....,

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Interesting discussion....,

Post by cp4449 »

.....on Trainorders:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... ?3,4690905

I wonder where the locomotive is now also
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
FKreider

Re: Interesting discussion....,

Post by FKreider »

You must be a member in order to view the picture larger than the tiny thumbnail but judging by the look and 2-4-0 wheel configuration I would guess that it is a Raritan?

Would it be possible for you to post the full size picture here?
-Frank K.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It would be nice to know what scale and gauge too. Since he came to Texas to run, one would have to assume it is 7 1/2" gauge. I have seen at least two other 7 1/2" gauge Raritan's built and operating. They did pretty well for their size, just like the 3/4" scale counterparts. I have often wondered what has happened to so many of the steamers I've seen over the years, especially when I was a kid. A lot of them are sold and moved off or just disappear after the death of their owner/builder. You know there have to be some of these things sitting out in someone's barn, or in a garage or basement somewhere, and they've been there for the last 20 years or more.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Full picture
train.jpg
Brook
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

The locomotive was built by Ralph Richards. I ran it in the 80s. Great little engine. His son would like to purchase it if it ever goes up for sale again.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There used to be a Mogul that looked like it was built using the Raritan plans and parts, and it also had a tender on it just like this one that said 'The Rebel Route' on it. Could this be the same person?
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:31 am There used to be a Mogul that looked like it was built using the Raritan plans and parts, and it also had a tender on it just like this one that said 'The Rebel Route' on it. Could this be the same person?
Yes it is. The Mogul is still owned by his son Mike. Another great running locomotive.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Good to hear that it is in good hands. I used to see it running at most of the Mid-South Live Steamers' meets when I was a kid. I remember it being a very similar style to the 2-4-0 in the pictures above, but was a mogul and had the same lettering on the tender. I always saw them out running it a lot. Gosh, that's been 35 years ago.