Another plumbing question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Another plumbing question

Post by cp4449 »

Can I use a standard globe valve for the steam feed to a injector? Or is there a nice looking quick acting valve out there?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
AnthonyDuarte

Re: Another plumbing question

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

A standard globe valve will work more than fine. The idea that steam needs to be blasted into an injector for it to work best is nothing more than a myth. We're spoiled that these miniature injectors are able to work with a blast of steam at all. Most, including full sized, don't.

Anthony
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Thanks
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The injector valves on my SHay are both globe valves with the threads machined off the stem. They push/pull for off/on.
Just make sure they are installed backwards to normal i.e. the steam pressure keeps the valve closed..

John B
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

The globe valves will work fine, I have used that for years.....but if your wanting a quick opening valve, I suggest you try contacting trainman...Mercer locomotive....I have a couple of his quick acting valves, and they work great
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Doesn't both locoparts and American Model engineering make MTP sized ball valves? That would be a cost efficient way to have a scale quick acting valve.
mbrusso39

Post by mbrusso39 »

I have the American model ball valve for the EE injector on my newest engine, easy to fit in and works great (just as good as my superscale valves I use on the Hudson).