Silver solder flux

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Silver solder flux

Post by hoppercar »

After silver soldering some brass tubing, what can you use to remove that hard , clear silver solder flux crust
jkimberln

Re: Silver solder flux

Post by jkimberln »

I bead blast it off usually, but where I worked they chipped off as much as they could, then put the workpiece in boiling water until the flux was gone. The flux does eventually dissolve in water.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I use citric acid as a pickle bath. It never fails to remove all traces of flux. Then scrub with Scotch-Brite or a brass brush.

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I've used Muratic acid. but don't leave the part in the acid overnight!!
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Hydrochloric acid will always remove some metal, though.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

The Charlie Purinton pickle recipe: 1 pound of salt, dissolved in 1 gallon of vinegar.

Keep this 1:1 ratio for whatever quantities you need. For example, 5 pounds of salt to 5 gallons vinegar.

Soak your part in it & rinse thoroughly.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The use of either hydrochloric acid or muriatic acid isn't a good idea, as the fumes are quite destructive. If you must make that choice, use the acid out of the shop, not in the shop, and don't store containers of either of them in your shop. Even well capped, they release fumes that rust exposed surfaces (like your mill table).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Hydrochloric acid and muriatic acid are exactly the same thing.

I agree that it should never be used indoors (unless you have a fume hood).
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

When you run out of the white flux you might try the black stuff. It comes off much easier, usually with nothing more than hot water.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That's a good observation, Greg. I've used both types, but have never considered the difficulty in removing either one.
The black stuff is really superior, at least in my opinion. It's a little more aggressive in its cleansing action, and more forgiving of overheat. It's now my first choice.

I usually bead blast soldered items. Does a nice job of cleaning the flux and making the parts look uniform. I don't know what I'd do without my blast cabinet. It's one of the most used tools in my shop.

What John said about HCl and muriatic----they are one and the same, although often labeled differently.
When I refined precious metals, I kept my fume hood operating 24/7. Even then, there was a deterioration of ferrous items in my lab, as well as the dyed bronze anodized aluminum window frames. This occurred over a period of about 11 years, however, and I was in the lab for long, hard hours daily. The home shop likely wouldn't suffer the same degree of degradation, but then the home shop also has machines with surfaces that are far more critical of being exposed to acids that lead to rusting. Considering my experiences, I don't think I'd use HCl in my shop, even if it had a fume hood, which It doesn't. I sure miss the one I used to have, though.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I have been using this for years. Some of the comments say to heat it up, I've never done that and it still works well:

https://www.amazon.com/Sparex-Granular- ... B0058ED064
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yes that's the stuff I use also. I keep it in a cheap crock pot on the low heat setting. It works faster if its heated.
Jack