Tom bee

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Tom bee

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 pm I thought sometime after the triennial Tom Bee sold his business to a new owner. I even think I remember an announcement from him in this regard. Am I thinking of somebody else??
According to this website page, Tom partnered up with someone.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Hey guys, maybe all the complaints are true, or they may not, but you have to cut some slack for hobby suppliers.
Yes, you can order from Amazon and get it tomorrow, but be a hobby supplier yourself and try to get a foundry to pour just 6 "small" castings, or wait until your shop comes up with a new pattern- because the old one does not fit the requirements of a foundry because they have newer methods etc,etc,etc.
I have not talked to Tom in well over a year and have not ordered from him, BUT PLEASE realize this is a hobby !
Many of the "suppliers" to live steam that I have known over the past 45 years were hand to mouth operations.
Never knew one who became rich off our hobby !
And I would not trade places with them for economic reasons. never !
Did you ever wonder why there is not more of them ?
They mostly do it out of their love of the hobby,,,,so cut them some slack.
They have kids that are screwing up, or have had heart attacks or their dog died...just like we all experience in life,
They may have to wait until they have $500 in the bank to pay the shop making the nuts to go in the package sitting on the shelf to the guy in Podunk Montana for his steam engine and the vendor has you on hold etc, etc
Yes, comment on quality and delivery , but be kind .

Rich
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Cut some slack... yes. But, if you can't deliver next week then don't tell the customer you will deliver "next week." And certain don't do it week after week.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I am not sympathetic. None of the readers lack the understanding that this is a hobby. The point at hand is some suppliers simply can't, and won't, tell the truth, with the reason why of little importance. It costs nothing to be honest with people--and each and every individual who attempts to place an order and spend their hard earned money should be entitled to honesty, with promised delivery dates upheld. If ANYONE involved in providing goods and services to others isn't capable of providing that, they deserve to be disclosed. And, if their behavior causes them to close their doors, so what? What has the buyer lost? He/she was getting nothing already.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I had the same issue with Goldmann all though it did not apply to me but someone who approached me.
They promised supply by a certain date but 8 years later still nothing.
I don't understand why people can't be honest - if you cant supply for what ever reason let people know - in this hobby there is more honesty than i have ever seen - most suppliers could send an item unpaid and know they would get paid - highiron is a great example he sent me items that I had not paid for - but got paid.
You do not gain anything by not being honest especially in this hobby and being on this forum - one mistake could be the end of your business in this hobby and we can not afford to lose genuine and honest suppliers.
Suppliers - if you are a good supplier GREAT - all other suppliers get your act together and put your self in the customers shoes - what would you want if you were buying from someone - it's not a hard question.
If you cant supply and offer a honest service maybe you should not be in this business.

This hobby is the most honest and trustworthy thing I have seen - if someone says to me they will send me or supply something- i will send them money.
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

Business is Business. When there is a great demand for a product, the business market will usually step up and supply the demand and make a profit. Honesty and transparency is rule one. When demand is greater than the supply, the business professionally lets the customer know when the demand can be met. No games, or excuses, no lies. If you cannot be professional in your business dealings your valuable customers your competition will.

In our hobby, there exists friendship and trust across the full spectrum. When my customers ask me can I build an item or supply a service I go forward in a timely manner supplying the request. BUT, the customer will know a time line and an estimated cost for me to meet their request. If I cannot meet the customers expectations, honesty and transparency is rule one.
michael george
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

michaellynn2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:53 am Business is Business. When there is a great demand for a product, the business market will usually step up and supply the demand and make a profit. Honesty and transparency is rule one. When demand is greater than the supply, the business professionally lets the customer know when the demand can be met. No games, or excuses, no lies. If you cannot be professional in your business dealings your valuable customers your competition will.

In our hobby, there exists friendship and trust across the full spectrum. When my customers ask me can I build an item or supply a service I go forward in a timely manner supplying the request. BUT, the customer will know a time line and an estimated cost for me to meet their request. If I cannot meet the customers expectations, honesty and transparency is rule one.
This is true. However I want add a bit of reality here. I work in management in fabrication and we use many subcontractors for many portions of our work. 3D modeling and drawings, shipping, paint, powder coating, galvanizing, shipping, and so on. Whenever the economy is hopping we are constantly let down by our subs and our schedule and image suffers. Our guys will be at home on standby because the drawings didn't come through when promised, then we have to work them overtime once they do to try and meet our customers schedule. We ALWAYS let our customer know though, that "hey the _________ company is behind and you can expect your steel at such and such a date, and we'll put our shop on O/T to get it to you ASAP". Sadly, most of our subs do NOT extend us this courtesy, and only when the __________ doesn't show up on time do we find out what the deal is. Super frustrating.
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

Business is Business...... I will give an example. My company is 43 years young. It will stay young as long as I provide a service that meets the demands of my customer. My customer does not care about all the issues I encounter running my business. The customer has a need and wants that need met. If I cannot meet the customers need someone will, if they will make a profit doing so. One product I provide to customers is COFFEE. I must anticipate every issue I will encounter selling the customer a box of coffee. My delivery van could not start, an employee did not show up for work, we have a snow storm and the roads are blocked. When I just cannot supply my customer, the customer expects a response. No coffee and there will be a rebellion.

The vender must keep in mind that the customer wants his product or service. No product or terrible service........NO CUSTOMER! In our free market, these are the rules.
michael george
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

michaellynn2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:47 pm ...
No coffee and there will be a rebellion.
Reminds me of about five decades ago when I was at my first duty station in the Navy. I was among the lowest of ranks, and part of my job was to get up at 04:30 to clean the admin office and start the coffee in the chiefs' lounge. One morning I forgot something. I could have forgotten to empty the skipper's trash, or to fetch his morning Wall Street Journal. That would have been OK. Or I could have forgotten to buff the deck in the building's main hallway. That would have been OK. But I forgot to make the coffee in the chiefs' lounge. That was not OK. By 06:00 I knew about it, and the chiefs did get their coffee, but it was about an hour late. You do not want a Navy chief to go an extra hour in the morning without coffee.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

The customer is out of their mind without the coffee. In the 34 years of business, I have let 2 customers run out of coffee. The customer did not care about the troubles I had keeping their brand in stock. The customer did not care about any excuses. I went to the competitions location and purchased cases of coffee to let a customer have their morning coffee. On mornings when a customer was close to running out of coffee, I was the office hero for delivering their coffee and not letting them running out. I got cheers around the office!
So when I talk about operating a business of any kind, THE CUSTOMER HAS A NEED AND WANTS NO EXCUSES, period! Keep in stock what makes your business operate. If you cannot supply the demand, be honest and tell no lies. If you cannot obey the rules of the free market, you will not survive the game. Running a business 101.
michael george
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

Correction.......I said 34 years. My business is 43 years of age. Remember, Honesty in all communications.
michael george
TomBeeOnline

Post by TomBeeOnline »

Dear Live Steam Enthusiasts,

Please forgive my delay in responding to this thread, as I did not know it existed until today. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bridget Uhrich. As some have posted, I am not Tom Bee's assistant. Myself, along with my husband, Marcel, are the new owners of Tom Bee Trucks. We have spent the past year traveling around the country in order to introduce ourselves and our family to the loyal customer base that Tom has worked so hard to build over the past 20+ years.

Marcel and I live in Cleveland, Ohio. When we aren't making Tom Bee trucks, we are busy with our two additional manufacturing businesses and chasing after our four beautiful children (Mollie 8, Claire 7, James 6, and Bridey 4). To say life is crazy would be an understatement! But we truly believe in this hobby and bringing Tom's top notch quality and affordable products to others who love Live Steam as much as we do.

We have been involved in the Live Steam hobby for many, many years. Tom has been a dear and loyal friend of ours for as long as we can remember. Recently, Tom decided to concentrate on his very popular Electric Steam Engines and sold the rest of his business to us. Going forward, you can purchase his gorgeous engines through Tom, and the rest of his products via our website (www.tombeeonline.com). The products that you receive from us are the EXACT same products that you received from Tom. We use the same foundries, suppliers, etc...and we assemble every single product ourselves in the USA. We will not compromise the reputation of quality that Tom has worked so hard to build.

We are still working through the obstacles of launching a new business platform. We understand that there have been some bumps in the road. At no point have I ever intended to "deceive" or be "dishonest" in any of my communication. We have failed to deliver in the time that we promised, but it was not malicious. I apologize for any inconvenience we have caused, and I can commit to do better in the future.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns you can contact me directly on my cell 216-559-6688.

Best Regards,

Bridget Uhrich