types of coal

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: types of coal

Post by NP317 »

Great video! I've never fired a coal-burning locomotive, but have extensively fired 5 full-sized oil burning steam locomotives.

I was fortunate to be taught by a Great Northern (US) steam Engineer. He often referred to the preferred "economy haze" coming out the stack.
As with coal, a clear stack indicated too little fuel, and a smoky stack too much oil in the air-fuel mixture.
He also stressed: Keep it hot, close to max boiler pressure, with a mid-glass of water on level track. The stored energy makes life much easier for the Firemen and Engineers, and firing the locomotives becomes much easier.

I count myself very fortunate to have had these experiences.
~RN
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Nothing wrong with oil, until you get it WRONG:

If you look at the stacks, if you are firing coal (or oil properly, which ^ is not...), there should be an economic haze. Which means that it is probably around 10% opacity. Any less generally means you are burning through the fuel in the box, any more means you put too much more fuel on and are not getting the best return for your $ of fuel.

Coals: they are all different. Best I've ever had was Nanaimo #2 in pressed lumps. Worst I've ever had- well, some of the CNR coal we have was fairly poor, but the stuff that they sold from the hardware place on Mt Pleasant was horrid. I think we burned the bag though...

Dad may chime in and say the last real Welsh he had was about 1962.

It's all about setup. Ash/clinker space on the bars, size of blast nozzle, amount of "lift" of the fire each stroke, all of them do make a difference. The best is to setup so that the engine will sizzle the safety valves at about 50% load, and fairly inconsistent firing. That depends on having enough of the same coal to play with adjustments. It also depends on the size of the loco- it becomes far more critical as the size of loco goes down, because the size of the operator generally doesn't decrease in proportion. (a Tich with me behind it is going to require a lot more careful firing than the Britannia, and both of those are very touchy in comparison to the 4" tractor...4"-20"-60" of grate)

Best NA coal available appears to me is Poahantas #2. I've got 4.5 tons of Quinsam, because I needed it by the ton. (well, I have 4 tons, and my blacksmith friend owes me .5 of a ton...I have to go visit him and get it back sooner rather than later, before he burns through his 22 000 lb... http://foggymountainforge.com/things-we ... her-stuff/ )
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

chucketn wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 am Just want to say I really enjoyed the video. My Grandfather was a Fireman on the Erie Railroad. He was later promoted to Hostler. I never knew how involved the Fireman's job was.
You'd probably enjoy "Set Up Running: The Life of a Pennsylvania Railroad Engineman, 1904–1949" by John Orr ISBN 978-0271027418
JimJam

Post by JimJam »

Bituminous vs anthracite seems to be what you like best. My son and I both run our 2-6-0 and have different opinions on coal. Sonny-boy likes the soft bituminous and I prefer anthracite. The bituminous burns hot and fast, tends to smoke and can more easily cause clinkers. The anthracite burns longer with less smoke and a nice ash.

Anthracite takes more heat to get it going but once it's hot I find it requires less attention. To start the anthracite on fire I start with charcoal bricketts and a layer of bituminous. Once that's going toss the anthracite on top.

Has anyone else found this to be true ?

I've played with canal coal too ! Big black smoke for photos !

- Jimi -
Harvard, MA
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

"To start the anthracite on fire I start with charcoal bricketts and a layer of bituminous. Once that's going toss the anthracite on top."
That's what I do on my 3.5-in gauge locomotives. The charcoal briquettes get a long soak in kerosene first.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I can't remember where it was from, but Bill Ulleseit Sr showed up with a coal that burned with a sulphurous yellow haze. I believe it was a western coal, possibly Wyoming. It was bad, we fellow hobbyists were tempted to turn him in to the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

As for oil firing, I was taught to keep the haze to about the level of a diesel truck exhaust. Less than that and you had an oxidizing flame that was ready to suck out with the slightest throttle adjustment, and more than that would actually reduce the heat transfer in the tubes as you were wetting them with unburned fuel. You got so you could hear the fire when it was right. or look at the flame color, or the haze at the stack, or best two outta three when one of them wasn't available (like firing up under a smoke hood where you can't see the haze). You just sort of felt when it was right.
John Brock