East Coast Locomotive Works

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

East Coast Locomotive Works

Post by wbarbe »

I seem to remember a long time ago a company that sold castings for a Pacific 4-6-2 I believe.

I thought the name of the company was East Coast Locomotive Works.

Does anyone remember this company and known what happened to them or the patterns for the engine?

Just curious.
Thanks
Dick_Morris

Re: East Coast Locomotive Works

Post by Dick_Morris »

From old threads, it looks like the design moved to Klamath Locomotive Works which has gone defunct as well. Do a search here for "East Coast Locomotive Works." I believe I remember reading in the older posts that the owner of Klamath died and his son was going to try and resurrect the design, but nothing came of it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you are correct. Fender (IIRC) got some stuff from them toward the end.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Must have been someone else, because I didn’t get anything from them.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hmmm......remember someone stopping by here with some iron from them...oh well...water over dam
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I was considering a purchase of some tender trucks from the owner when the business was Klamath Locomotive Works in CA. Suddenly the father passed on and castings/materials were suddenly hard to get from the foundry for some unknown reason. The son acted like he was going to keep the business going in a big way and seemed almost too eager to get cash money in hand. When I queried him in regards to delivery, there was no date or time given which ran up a big red flag in my book. I was wary of the situation and probably saved myself a major scam in the long run. I had already seen too much in the way of parts not delivered or delivered way later in this hobby. Did not want to join the club of wish I had not done that.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I had spoken with Don several months before he died he had gotten involved with Howie Mason up in Canada and it basically bankrupt him and his operation he was in the process of trying to recover Monies and patterns and parts

I had expressed interest in buying the original patterns and blueprints from him and taking over at the same time I was dealing with Little Engines but he declined saying he was going to go after him and get it all and his son was thinking about taking over the business nothing ever came of it and the whole thing fell to the Wayside I know Don owed The Foundry a lot of money that he could never collect from Howie so I'm sure the patterns are now lost forever
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

East Coast Locomotive Works, Sandy Hook, CT.....back when Sandy Hook simply meant "Sandy Hook", and not Sandy Hook.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Wasn't someone on here building a NYC hudson from their plans?
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I do have drawings and possibly, castings may be available. The drawings are not the jpg's that are floating around.

Yes East Coast Locomotive was sold to Don after Ralph Lathrop passed away. Don's son doesn't seem to be interested in selling the patterns.

Jim B